back/bis

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In regards to joe's question, I agree, some elaboration would help. I think he's speaking of the wrist being grabbed while the arm is in a position that it would be if it were in a boxing type guard position.

If that's the case, it's probibily one of the most important positions to train joint position from. It's a common thing to have one's lower arm grabbed when the hands are up in this manner and a good starthing point for more complex manuvers.

I can't speak for akikdo, but as for tuite based manips there is a signifigant amount of training time spent from this position, espically early on.

With all these wrist defenses, Brian, do you defend both "up" and "down," or all in the "down" position?

Hey Joe. You're going to have to elaborate a bit more on the up and down positions. If you can clarify, then I might be able to shed some light on the subject.

I think he's speaking of the wrist being grabbed while the arm is in a position that it would be if it were in a boxing type guard position.

A "down" position is having my hands and wrists by my sides; an "up" position could be with my hands open-palm facing my opponent. With the "up" position, though, it could even be that my fists are raised (I "put up my dukes"), but the opponent's slick and grabbed hold of my lead arm's wrist.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

At home:

Leg raises

Leg stretches

Ki Cho Hyungs (Il, E, Sam Bu)

Pyung Ahn Cho Dan

Chil Sung E Ro Hyung

Class tonight:

- Required one-step sparring techniques

- A variety of short sparring combinations, sometimes "mixing it up," so that some were limited mobility, but others were move, move, move . . .

:karate:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

10-29-08

Went for a walk tonight. I pushed our boy in the stroller, and my wife walked our puppy.

Joe: I'm still having a bit of trouble interpreting your statement. To answer as best I can, most of our grabs come from the hands being down at our sides, and the grab is pinky lowest. I do think that beginning to work on grabs from being in a guard position would be a good idea.

Joe: I'm still having a bit of trouble interpreting your statement. To answer as best I can, most of our grabs come from the hands being down at our sides, and the grab is pinky lowest. I do think that beginning to work on grabs from being in a guard position would be a good idea.

Thanks, Brian; the hands are down at the sides, and the grab is pinky lowest. But you also said "most" and "from being in a guard position would be a good idea." I really think that, after white belt, some guard position grabs should be introduced. I'm an orange belt with a stripe as a promotion over plain orange, and the defenses are still when you're grabbed with your hands down at your sides.

:karate:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

today-

light ma work, more coaching/teaching than anything

20 min of kick drills to the pad, leading up to combos, distancing. Integrating kick defense

3, 3 min rounds of kick focused sparring

1, 3 min round of free sparring, light

10 min of review of key lock/armbar series from mount

3, 3 min rounds of limited engagement rolling working this

20 min of tuite and staning jj training. work thru to control

crossfit-

100 pull ups

100 sit ups

100 push ups

100 squats

1/4 mile up hill on the tread mill in a vain attempt to combat the halloween candy from last night.

today-

crossfit:

start running clock, 1 pull up in min 1, 2 pull ups in min 2, 3 pullups in min...ect until you can no longer get the requeste pull ups done. After yesterdays pull up marathon, I manged 10. Ususlly I do a bit better.

lifted legs