• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

Hope so too :) I think its better to do 80 pushups with really short pauses (like 10 seconds or so) then 50 with no or one pause. Its indeed also good to see what others do, inspires me :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3, 3 min rounds of limited engagement sparring. one person limited to setups and takedowns, the other to striking and sprawling and clinching

I like this kind of drilling. It really forces people to train a weakness, instead of ignoring it.

5, 3 min rounds of free roll. 30 sec rest, no "out" matches

What are "out" matches?

I think its better to do 80 pushups with really short pauses (like 10 seconds or so) then 50 with no or one pause.

I wish I could do 50 in a row. Push-ups are kind of bane to me. I keep trying, though.

10-20-08

Chest/triceps

Chest press: 110x10, 118x8, 125x6

Triceps press: 167x10, 177x10, 186x10

Shoulder/back/biceps

Lat pull-down: 122x10, 128x10, 135x10

Low row: 132x10, 137x10, 141x10

Shoulder press: 89x10, 95x10, 100x8

Legs

Leg extensions: 70x15x3

Leg curls: 130x15x3

Abs

Decline crunches: 3x15

Hanging knee raises: 3x10

I didn't get to the gym as early as I wanted to, so I worked on the machines, and did a little circuit. Thats why the numbers are funky.

Combat Hapkido: 10:15 - 11:30. Worked on the mitts, doing punches, mainly jabs, crosses, and lead hooks. Also backfists and hammerfists. We did 10 of each on each hand, except for the hooks, which we spent some time on mitts and bags doing. We did yellow and orange belt material, and it was a good review for me. I'll keep at it. We used the last 15 minutes working on some of the Aikido techniques that we learned last week.

I agree bushido man, it' s good to focus on a single or limited set of skills from time to time during live training.

As for the "out" match that's my slang for the odd man out that occurs when you have an even number people rolling or sparring in matches and another sitting alongside the mats watching the action due to no parnter. So you have a live round, rotate to an "out" position, and then rotate back in for more live rounds. It's just my slang thats all.

It's nice to occassionally have it where there's no big rest break for anyone, that way you all get the 30 sec. You can make the out guy do bag work or something as well. But we all know a match is more fun.

At home:

Leg stretches

Bag paddle/WaveMaster:

- kicks

- Basic self-defense block-strike moves

Ki Cho Hyungs (Il, E, Sam Bu)

Pyung Ahn Cho Dan

Chil Sung E Ro Hyung (first half)

Class at night with my sons:

- worked with my boys and the other children, manning a "station" for kicking and punching hand-held targets

:karate:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Yesterday's training:

We had a great class. We trained our legs and belly muscles for the mai geri. It really works better then just copying your sensei imo. We did some excercises with our legs, like sitting on the floor, one foot in front of you (your heel in your balls, basically :P) and the other heel behind you, as far as you could. Then we swinged the leg that was behind forwards, as far as possible. And then swing it back again, behind you, as far as you can. And lots more of those excercises. I really felt my legs already because of the 2 mile run I did that afternoon :P Then we practised the technique. One does pushups (knuckle) and the other one kicks over the first guy's back when he rises. It's a good training for both :) Then we practised it with coushins (dunno what they are called in english, its just a square thing you can kick or punch)

@Bushido_man: I had that problem first 2. I could do 15 pushups in a row. But I practised it after my parents had put me to bed :P As long as you keep doing a set number of them every day or like 3 days in a week, you should increase your muscles, and you can do more and more over time ;)

Today-

crossfit of 20 min running clock as many as possible:

5 thrusers

7 power cleans

10 sumo deadlift high pulls

all 95 lbs.

chest and tris

1 mile run

hey bushido man- i was reading up a couple of post about your combo work with the jab, cross, hook. I apoligize if you already work it this way, but one variation I use a lot is doing the same combo with a half step to the lead side during the lead hook. This step also goes a touch forward. It works well for closing the gap to hook range and moves your center off line while you work around the opponents guard. Just a thought.

Thanks for the advise on the hook, tallgeese. I'll put it to use.

In Wrestling, we referred to your "out" matches as round robins.

Thanks for the push-up tip as well, Shiv. I have been trying to do more of them at home lately.

10-21-08

TKD class: 6:00 - 7:00. We did upper body basics with no rest today. That was kind of tiring. The instructor we had tonight also likes to walk around and check things out as we stay holding a position. Nice for the legs, and it helps me to push myself harder.

I focused on my side kicks in basics today, working on getting more turn and thrust into them. Its helping.

After class was over, I hit my instructor up about that 4-direction throw (Shio nage) that I was having trouble with on Monday morning. He helped me get it squared away. Apparently, I wasn't staying connected at the center, to my opponent's center, by basically getting hip-to-hip close. It made a noticible difference.

Glad you can make use of that variation, bushido man.

Today-

8, 2 min rnds of mitts and kicking shields. stacked on a kick counter to open the combos.

6, 2 min rounds of limited engagement sparring/rolling. On the sparring, one attacker, one defender, strikes only. On the rolling, one escaping guard, one trying to sweep or submit from guard.

5, 2 min rounds of free roll

5, 2 min rounds of mma focus sparring, strikes all the way thru to ground.

Class with my boys tonight:

I "manned" a station for the special needs students, and we have a new special student with us.

At the end of class, David and Patrick received their orange belts (one year of white belt status, but earning stripes along the way, eight in all). It was a nice ceremony at the end of class. Me? I received a stripe on my orange belt, that I'd passed my last test.

:karate:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu