• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10-18-08

Aikido class: 10:00 - 11:00. I was only able to attend the first hour of the class today, because my folks were in town to celebrate my son's birthday. :D It was ok, because the first hour of class is usually working on the Aikitaisos, breakfalling, and a bit of pair work. So, it was good review for me. What little bit of technique work I did was with doing a 4-direction throw (shio nage) as a defense to an upset knife hand strike to the throat area (yokomen uchi). We also practiced the strike and blocking method prior to the technique. I will continue to practice the motions for the defense we did throughout the week. I also took home another Aikitaiso to work on.

10-18-08 Evening

Aikitaisos

Irimi: 20 each side

Tenkan: 20 each side

Shomen: 20 each side

Irimi to step behind and "buddy drop": 10 each side. Irimi is "side entering." Basically, with a straigh punch or downward strike, we step off line of the attack, 45 degrees to the outside of the attack. Its a simple motion, and one that I think I'll spend a lot of time working on. Maybe I'll make it my thing.

I was only able to attend the first hour of the class today, because my folks were in town to celebrate my son's birthday. :D

Hey! Nice! Happy Birthday to him. How old is your son, Bushido Man? :)

Irimi to step behind and "buddy drop": 10 each side. Irimi is "side entering." Basically, with a straigh punch or downward strike, we step off line of the attack, 45 degrees to the outside of the attack. Its a simple motion, and one that I think I'll spend a lot of time working on. Maybe I'll make it my thing. (emphasis added)

Shows what I know about Aidido . . . I didn't even think of a punch in association with this art. I always think of redirects and joint locks. Would the "downward strike" be a knife hand? :-?

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I was only able to attend the first hour of the class today, because my folks were in town to celebrate my son's birthday. :D

Hey! Nice! Happy Birthday to him. How old is your son, Bushido Man? :)

Irimi to step behind and "buddy drop": 10 each side. Irimi is "side entering." Basically, with a straigh punch or downward strike, we step off line of the attack, 45 degrees to the outside of the attack. Its a simple motion, and one that I think I'll spend a lot of time working on. Maybe I'll make it my thing. (emphasis added)

Shows what I know about Aidido . . . I didn't even think of a punch in association with this art. I always think of redirects and joint locks. Would the "downward strike" be a knife hand? :-?

Hey Joe. Thanks. My son turned 3. :)

In Aikido, there is not a lot of formal training put into the strikes (at least I haven't seen it in this dojo yet). I am reading a book called Total Aikido, and it does a pretty good job of explaining the various strikes, and gives tips on maximizing them. Many of them are kind of a mimic of sword strikes, as the art has many similarities to movements in Japanese swordsmanship.

Yes, the downward strike is a knife hand strike.

Today-

4, 2 min rounds on the mitts or kick shields. Worked from strike combos to combos w counters

3, 3 min rounds of limited engagement sparring. one person limited to setups and takedowns, the other to striking and sprawling and clinching

5, 3 min rounds of free roll. 30 sec rest, no "out" matches

On a side note...it's great to see so many more people making use of the training log. It' s neat to see what everyone else is doing and their thoughts on training and drills.

Hope this trend continues.