• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Martial Artists' Training Log

bushido_man96

9-11-08

TKD class: 6:00 - 7:00. Tonights class, unfortunately, was the last official class of one of my good friends, and a 2nd dan, before he moves for a new job. He'll still be around, and I'll be able to keep in touch with him, but he is really one of the guys that I like to go to when it comes to training help. He is also a great training partner. The school that he is heading to is going to be getting a really great student, who will be a really good teacher some day.

That said, since is was his last official class here, after sparring him 1 to 1, I got to be in on the 3 on 1 match against him, as well. :D That match consisted of a lot of me turning into Vulture_man96, making sure that most of my shots on him came from behind him, where he couldn't see me...:brow:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice on the ninja moves. Mush better than stanidng toe to toe :) . It does stink when one of your good training partners moves off. You'll just have to start breaking in another one. Easier said than done, i agree.

For me today-

15 min of drills on the mat. Knee in belly to armbar, followed by working with one of the wrestlers with us on utilizing and defending the guittone.

6, 3 min rounds of escape drills from:

mount

side mount

guard

3, 3 min rounds of free grappling from standing

3, 3 min rounds from knees

crossfit (modified slightly)

5 rounds of:

95 lbs. power clean

6 push ups

9 squats

1 min rest between cycles

leg day

crossfit-

21-15-9 reps of

95 lbs thrusters

pull ups

chest/ tris

3, 3min rounds on the heavy bag

For me today-

15 min of drills on the mat. Knee in belly to armbar, followed by working with one of the wrestlers with us on utilizing and defending the guittone.

Good call using your resources like that to train for different things. Its always good to get a different point of view.

9-12-08

Aikido session #1: 7:00 - 9:00. This session was dubbed a self-defense session. We began by doing a simple forward breakfall from our knees, but it was a funky one that I had never done before. Then, we did the self-defense technique. It began by doing a simple armbar/wrist lock, called gokyu, I think. We worked on applying it by coming from a 45 degree behind someone, grabbing the wrist with the side of the body that you bump them with, and then placing the lock with the other hand. After getting this, we worked in a simple takedown and pin. After doing this takedown, I realized how the funky breakfall we learned came into play. :P We then moved on from various attacks, like the wrist grab, and then from a punch to the abdomen. What I loved about this session was seeing the evolution from the initial application of the technique to applying body movement to get into position for the technique from various scenarios. It was a great time. This session was a bit more informal than the other sessions.

9-13-08

Aikido session #2: 8:30 - 11:30. This session was titled Aikido Techniques. It began much more formally, much like an Aikido class would begin. We did a formal bow in, and then warmed up doing leg stretches and wrist stretches. Next, we did some breakfalling and rolling, forward and backward across the mat. We also did some basic Aikido body movement exercises, which include circling and spinning motions, than end up lending themselves to the movements used in the techniques. After the basic were covered, we got into technique work. Each technique would begin with a tai sabaki, usually performed in response to a downward knife hand attack to the head. After the tai sabaki work, we moved into the technique, and then to variations of the technique.

Aikido session #3: 2:00 - 4:30. This session began much the same as first session of the day, and went much the same as well. More techniques and tai sabaki, which was a lot fun figuring out. That old mantra "it hits all by itself" came into play a few times, as I could see my TKD habits coming into play when a strike would come my way. I had to work on different moving and blocking habits to work the Aikido techniques. This session ended different than the first, though. At the end of this session, we got to work with bokkens, or wooden replacements for the katana. This, was a blast! We started with some work on several guards, but then moved quickly into doing two-person weapons work, which is what I am all about! :D What was great about it was seeing the tai sabaki translate from the empty hand to the sword (which most likely originated the other way around), and even some of the attacks resembling the empty hand moves. Even though I am more of a Western Swordsmanship type of guy, the stuff we did here was fun, and practical (as far as sword combat goes).

9-14-08

Aikido session #4: 9:00 - 11:00am. This session began with a Nidan testing that we got to watch. The tester began with some technique work with one uki. Later, he did randori both standing and kneeling. There were as many as 5 people coming at him, and he had some back problems giving him fits. I admired his spirit in the test. After the test, we finished off with pretty much the same themes that went the day before.

The workouts were good, and I learned some new things about moving and using my "center" to make techniques happen. It was a lot of fun, too. I also learned that the Aikido club has a session on Saturdays, and there is no fee to join the classes! So, I may be adding it to my workload....

After day 2 of the seminar, my shoulders were a lot more sore than they had ever been in my life. It came from being tight in the shoulders anyways, and from landing funny at times from wierd angles, and doing falls that I wasn't quite used to yet. I think the bokken work at the end of day 2 really fried them good. Those wooden swords have some heft to them.

9-15-08

Today was the most painful day of doing nothing that I have ever had. I didn't do anything so I could recoup my shoulders, but they still ache all day long!!

crossfit-

3 rounds of:

1/2 mile

50 back extensions

50 sit ups

back and bi's

Yeah, bushido, it's handy having guys with different backgrouds around. Not only do you get a wide array of training ideas, you also get to work againt guys with a different set of body mechanics. Keeps you from getting too complacient with the movements that only your guys use.

Yeah, bushido, it's handy having guys with different backgrouds around. Not only do you get a wide array of training ideas, you also get to work againt guys with a different set of body mechanics. Keeps you from getting too complacient with the movements that only your guys use.

A benefit from studying other martial arts, or at least aspects of other arts, when you've got a good foundation in at least one.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

"Gakyu"? Funny, my sensei calls it gakun. :) They must have different ways of saying it. If you don't already know it, don't let your instructor make you work Daicho. :wink: We've been working on exactly the same stuff you've been working on KF Sensei! That's awesome! Were those your first classes in Aikido or were they seminars?

Lately, I've been working Sanchin a lot more. I'm hoping it'll give me stronger abs. :karate:

Chikara

karate es el amor de mi vida.