Bench press: 165x10, 205x6, 215x4

Dips: 3x6

Legs

Leg extensions: 85x20, 20, 20

Leg curls: 115x20, 20, 100x20

Calf raises: 126x10, 10, 10

Abs

Decline crunches: 3x20

Combat Hapkido: 10:15 - 11:00. Today was fun, because one of the TKD black belts has been showing interest in the Combat Hapkido, and I got to start from the beginning with him, and kind of work with some of the curriculum that I have been coming up with for the ranks. It was also good review for me. We started with the breakaways, and then moved into the same side wrist grab defenses. After getting them down, I really slowed him down, and made him break everything down, piece by piece. I had him work on distractions with a kick first, and then with a hand technique. After getting taken down a lot, we slowed down again and focused on the distraction/diminish technique, and then getting the grab down, building the muscle memory up. We then moved on to some simple trapping drills, and then we went into mitt training. It was pretty good training, and it gave me an idea of what I could do if the instructor lets us start the class up again.

crossfit (modified)

superseted continually for 10 min-

rows by 100

squats by 50

chest and tris

shadowboxing for 2, 3 min rounds

round 1, making entries from kick defenses and crashing the gap

round 2, focus on trapping and entry, work from negitive trapping situations

Glad to hear you're attacting more attention for your CH program. I agree that the used of a distracting attack is critical for any joint movment training and often under trained. A lot of people aren't used to this concept beyond lip service. It's good you broke it down for him.

Glad to hear you're attacting more attention for your CH program. I agree that the used of a distracting attack is critical for any joint movment training and often under trained. A lot of people aren't used to this concept beyond lip service. It's good you broke it down for him.

Thanks, tallgeese. In the Combat Hapkido system, we always make use of the "live hand," rooting youself/dropping your center, and the distraction technique. However, I don't like really calling it a "distraction;" I want it to be more than that. If you are going to strike or kick someone, I don't want to teach the technique to just pester the attacker. If you can stop the encounter with that technique, then good. So, I like to at times refer to it as a "diminishing" technique, a la Hock's idea of the diminished fighter.

One idea I have for training the technique in this manner is to hang a heavy bag so that the bottom is closer to the floor, to give a target for the low-line kicks. Then, from around the bag, a partner grabs one of the wrists, arms, whatever for the technique. Then, do the distraction/diminish technique with full power, into the bag. I think this is important because when you are actually performing the techniques with a partner, you can't always drill them hard. I have also considered donning head gear and our TKD sparring vests so that we can practice the body shots, too.

Adding more armor for this type of simulation is an excellent idea. We've used soccor shin guards of the semi-rigid variety so the defender could blast away. It works pretty well, just add some padding.

The low hanging heavy bag is a good idea as well. Espically with the addition of a live training partner to "fee" attacks in.

By the way, I agree that "distraction" does somewhat limit the tactics you're useing. I like to try and damage someone anytime I lay a hand on them (or foot, knee, ect. :) )

As for me today.

Spent day at range doing entrys and movement. Mainly teaching however.

Afterwards-

20 min of drill work on mat doing offensive series from the guard.

30 second escape drills for 10 min

Free roll by 30 min

Round robin with 4 fighters, 1 min each

Soccer shin gear works well. Also, you can use catchers shin gear. It's a bit harder but allows full contact. Make sure you wear shoes of some sort.

Soccer shin gear works well. Also, you can use catchers shin gear. It's a bit harder but allows full contact. Make sure you wear shoes of some sort.
Sounds great. Thanks for the tips. I think I can really take off with this Combat Hapkido stuff; I just need a chance and some students...

7-23-08

Did some kicking over the back of a folding chair:

Front leg front thrust kick: 2x5 on each leg.

Front leg side kick: 2x5 on each leg.

I really need some work on my balance.

7-24-08

TKD Class: 6:00 - 7:00. Class was tiring again tonight. During one-steps, I pulled a little something in my right leg, behind the knee/top of the calf muslce area. Don't feel to great right now. During sparring, I stuck mostly with hand techniques and moving around. I did a little kicking. Some of the 1st degrees got some kicks in on me though, so that was alright. Its good that the lower ranks can get in on you now and then. It is almost gratifying when one of them is using a technique that you showed them and worked with them on in class at one point, too.

Yeah, I really like seeing stuff I taught get used agaist me on the mat. It's a pretty neat feeling to see someone benifiting from the time you're putting in.

Today-

crossfit

21-15-9 reps of

95 lbs. Overhead Squat

Burpees

Back and Bi's

3- 3min rounds on the heavy bag