• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate

TheUSPS

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think you'd have to ask someone who's trained in both. Fortunately I can say that it would depend a lot on the instructor.

Also it should be noted that there are a lot of Karate styles, to name a few, Shotokan, Goju-Ryu, Kyokushin...the list goes on.

A New Age Dawns

I think that depends on what your apptitude for it is. Every one likes different things, and takes to different things differently.

I like TKD, and picked it up fairly well, I think. However, I have always had trouble with joint manipulative styles like Hapkido. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy Hapkido, it is just tougher for me to pick up.

Now, I have a brother who has done TKD with me, and has also done some joint manipulation stuff. TKD he was ok with, but he took to the Hapkido stuff like a duck to water.

In the end, it just depends on the purpose.

I agree with everyone else thus far. It depends on many factors. Each person is different

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

I've had beginner students that just throw their arms and legs out and say "this is easy!" In the same class, I've had other students that are fairly fit, putting everything he/she has into it and say "this is the hardest work out I've ever had..."

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

I took to Shotokan really well, that doesn't mean to say its easy though. I have never done any other arts so i can't really comment on that side of things. I think it does depend on the student tho, and the instructor, as others have said.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

You could say that Karate is about doing some very simple things extremely well. Punching, kicking, blocking, and movement. Certain basic techniques - e.g reverse punch, front kick will still be a focus of your training many years after you first walk into a dojo.

In some Martial Arts you learn a great variety of techniques in a (relatively) short space of time. Karate is not like this. I personally felt that it took years rather than weeks or months to even begin to 'feel' what these basic techniques were really about.

So that's not to say Karate is more difficult or easy then any other style. But you do need to be prepared to drill and drill simple techniques to begin to understand the art, which deosn't suit everyone out there.

Dave

USPS, I agree with everything others here have mentioned here about the instructor, personal interest, physical ability, etc being factors. However, I will ignore all of that (since everyone has touched on it pretty accurately already) and offer the other side of this issue.

This may not be a popular answer since so many martial artists consider is disrespectful to compare arts and say one is better than another. But I'm going to give you my very realistic response any way since I'm not one to beat around the bush or dwell on political correctness, etc. Plus I think it is really good info for someone trying to choose an art.

I am an instructor in Goshin Jutsu which combines Karate and Aikijutsu. The latter style is like a blend of Aikido and Jujutsu. I also know from watching and a little cross training with a Hapkido practitioner, that Jujutsu and Hapkido are very similar styles. Many of their movements are identical. So I feel qualified to respond.

Karate is probably simpler to learn as it is primarily striking and blocking from some distance. Most of it is done while standing upright which is a natural position. However, it is harder in its physical demands. After leaning how to strike, you then must learn how to do it with power and focus, then learn to do all of this at the same time. All of that takes a lot of energy so it helps if you are in shape and it can be very devastating.

Hapkido and other "locking" type arts are designed to be less demanding on the body meaning you can do this even if you less than average size, weight, or strength. Of course if you are bigger or stronger, it is a clear advantage as in any art, but it is not the only way to be successful. I have seen in myself, my peers, and my students, that the Aikijutsu side of my style may be easier on the body when executing, but a lot more difficult to learn. All the twisting and tangling in various directions for different results can be confusing. But it is well worth it when you get it! Some of the movements are not natural so it is a very conscious action at first. It is not something you will or should do at full speed when you begin.

So if you prefer something that is a little easier to grasp, then I recommend Karate or a similar striking art (Karate, TKD, Boxing, Muay Thai, etc.) assuming you are in at least decent shape.

If you are into really learning the more complex (and probably less commonly known) movements, then do a grappling art (Hapkido, Aikijutsu, Jujutsu, MMA, Wrestling, etc.) assuming you prefer falling and rolling around on the floor over being punched and kicked.

Good luck choosing.

Paranoia is not a fault. It is clarity of the world around us.