• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

decreased speed ?

Chris05

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It all depends.

Fat weighs more than muscle so if you're losing body fat and gaining muscle then you should actually be gaining speed. But if you're putting on muscle and not cutting out enough fat then your speed will probably slow down very slightly.

Even if you do cut down on the speed you are adding mass behind it so you're overall power shouldn't be affected too much.

bearich pretty much summed it all up.

I'd just like to add that if you're feeling slower, you should do some weighted punches (hold dumbells), and ankle-weighted kicks.

After at least 20 minutes of them on, once you take the weights off your speed seems incredibly faster.

A New Age Dawns

woah woah woah. Be careful using body-weights. You can seriously injure yourself. if you even think about that route make sure to take it slow and easy and don't do your techniques hard.

Fat weighs more than muscle

I thought it was the other way around?

I know that I've read before that if you lose body fat but put on muscle you can still end up weighing the same as when you had body fat but no muscle, because of the density of muscle compared to fat.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

woah woah woah. Be careful using body-weights. You can seriously injure yourself. if you even think about that route make sure to take it slow and easy and don't do your techniques hard.

yeah I forgot to mention that. I only do slow kata-like movements.

A New Age Dawns

Even with builiding muscle, you should not slow down speed of movements unless you are muscling through the strike. Blocks, punches, kicks should be done with a relaxed technique and then a snap at the end. Doesn't matter how muscular you are if you are doing technique correctly.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

Fat weighs more than muscle

I thought it was the other way around?

I know that I've read before that if you lose body fat but put on muscle you can still end up weighing the same as when you had body fat but no muscle, because of the density of muscle compared to fat.

Yes and no.

Muscle cells are more dense than fat cells by (1.06 g/ml to .9 g/ml respectively), giving the muscle cells an approximate 18% higher density. However, density and weight are two different things. You can take a 1 gram pebble and drop it into a river and watch it sink and then drop a 10 gram block of wood and watch it float down stream.

Fat cells retain water, thus allowing them to grow and gain weight. This water absorbed through osmosis isn't take into account when figuring density since water in the fat cell will have no impact on whether it floats or sinks. Removing water from these fat cells can reduce your weight (by minizing water weight in them), but the fat cells will still maintain their current size. This is why you often see "flabs of skin" around old fat deposit sites on someone who's recently dropped a lot of weight fairly quickly.

But as you state, you can still end up with the same weight. I've read somewhere that the average amount of muscle mass a normal man can add in a rigorous training session is approximately 4kg. So if the fat you burn is less than or equal to what you gain in muscle mass in a training session, then yes you could technically come out with additional weight.

I've read somewhere that the average amount of muscle mass a normal man can add in a rigorous training session is approximately 4kg.
I think you've misplaced a decimal? 4 kg is 9 pounds, and if you could gain 9 pounds of muscle in one session, we'd all look like Arnold. :P

If you think only of hitting, springing, striking or touching the enemy, you will not be able actually to cut him. You must thoroughly research this. - Musashi

I've read somewhere that the average amount of muscle mass a normal man can add in a rigorous training session is approximately 4kg.
I think you've misplaced a decimal? 4 kg is 9 pounds, and if you could gain 9 pounds of muscle in one session, we'd all look like Arnold. :P

:lol: :lol:

Actually I'd be willing to bet my memory of the article is off and it's probably something like 4 grams.