• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Family tree

Shotokan-kez

Hey everyone. I was just wondering if anyone on the forums was a good researcher on family trees. I'm doing my family tree and i'm stuck on my great grandfather on my dad's side. I know his name and death date. I know his wifes name and her death date. I also know their childrens names and where they lived. This is the only information my family could give me about him, as he died in 1949 no-one knows much. I have an original photograph of him in his forces uniform so i know he exsisted :) Just the census records and other search sites don't seem to be able to trace him, or his wife for that matter.

I don't know what else to do really, or which way to go. Can anyone suggest anything or know anywhere that can do the research for you? Cheers any help will be appreciated.

Kez x :karate:

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Cheers, Kez! I have a topic going on my geneology as well: http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=29982

Since you have a death date of your great grandfather, you should see if you also know where he is buried. You may be able to get some kind of records from the local courthouse, or, you may be able to scan in microfilms of the local library for obituaries in the papers. That may help you out.

Good luck! It is fun, isn't it?

Cool thread. Can I do the same. My dad died in 2004. I have his birthdate, and his obituarie and where he was born. Can I go from there? Otherwise, I've been stuck. I know nothing about his dad, so I don't know my family members on his side. I need help.

Laurie F

Firstly thanks Brian. He was buried in South wales, but born in Scotland with a different surname to what we all ended up with. No-one seems sure how he changed his name or why, some people say he was adopted and others say his mother re-married. My dad visited the gravesite and asked the lady in reception...for some reason his birthday date wasn't recorded only his death date and i find that a little strange. On my mums side i have managed to go straight back to 1820, but my dad's i'm stuck here so it's frustrating!

Yes Brian it's great fun, i've been doing it about a year now and finding very interesting facts.

Karatekid you need to get as much information as possible from all your living relatives and write it all down. I would suggest buying a family tree maker pc cd rom to get you started, it will have lots of helpful tips and guides to help you along. It will be hard to start from your dad because he only died in 2004. I don't know what it's like in the us but in England our last sensus was out in 1901 so if you have relatives born after that it will be hard to trace. Also try Ancestry.co.uk.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk