• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Worst injury experience

My worst injury was a shattered jaw. I was still in high school and was sparring with some guys who had no martial arts experience. Of course, I was young and stupid so we weren't using any protective gear of any kind. Well anyway, I was sparring the football QB, who was atheletic, and got a spinning back kick to his ribs which knocked him down.

When he got up we kept going and he threw a jab/ cross combo. I ducked under the combo and he tried a spinning back kick. He did it very well and, because I had ducked into it, caught me in the face. He didn't do it to hurt me or anything, just wanted to try it. It worked.

I spent the next 8 weeks with my jaws wired shut. The poor guy was so scared. I made sure to tell him not to worry about it. It's a great story to share with my students about the dangers of practicing without proper supervision and equipment.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I've never been seriously injured. I've had lots of opportunity (such as falling off a fence onto concrete onto my head when I was 6) but I haven't had anything serious. But I have a good story from my gymnastics days. A girl was doing a horse routine with a flip dismount. She miscalculated and landed on her back, biting her tongue. The front 3/4 of it had been bit off and was hanging on by a thread.

External training without the training of the mind is nothing

An open subluxation of the middle finger on the right foot. :bawling:

This translates into having the finger hanging only by the skin of the instep and a very nice view into the opened joint... Received a Kirchner wire (it took 3 tries before the doctor inserted it correctly), a couple of stiches and a cast.

The finger was almost as good as new after 2 months, but with limited flexibility and sensation. :)

If you're going trough hell, keep going. | http://www.sankukai.org

An open subluxation of the middle finger on the right foot. :bawling:

This translates into having the finger hanging only by the skin of the instep and a very nice view into the opened joint... Received a Kirchner wire (it took 3 tries before the doctor inserted it correctly), a couple of stiches and a cast.

The finger was almost as good as new after 2 months, but with limited flexibility and sensation. :)

OUCH!!!!

How did that happen to you???

A stupid mistake in kumite. One of the partners was supposed attack with a mae-geri and the other then block and counter strike. Well, we both attacked at the same time and this was the result. The "funny" thing was that I didn't notice anything seriously wrong. Yes it hurt, but I didn't care. Only when I tried to make a step forward it started to feel weird... :(

Never had any bad injuries... A concussion in Judo one time and a bruised heel another were about it. The only other real injury I've suffered is a torn rotator cuff that I got when I was working.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

A stupid mistake in kumite. One of the partners was supposed attack with a mae-geri and the other then block and counter strike. Well, we both attacked at the same time and this was the result. The "funny" thing was that I didn't notice anything seriously wrong. Yes it hurt, but I didn't care. Only when I tried to make a step forward it started to feel weird... :(

Man, that sounds like a crazy mix up. I'll bet it felt wierd trying to walk!

My worst injury was a broken rib when I was 14 and had just gotten my green belt, I was sparring with another greenbelt and we were both in full gear (except chest protectors) and had been sparring for over 5 min. we were both wearing down, but instead of taking a break we sped up, and my partner caught me right where the ribs and sternum meet with a full force punch,I signled a timeout but then continued for another min. it was only when I was trying to take my gear off that I realized that I couldn't breath well or bend down to get my shoes on. :)

God has not given us a spirit of fear, but a spirit of love, a spirit of power, and of self-discipline.

2 Timothy 1:7

Man, that sounds like a crazy mix up. I'll bet it felt wierd trying to walk!

Yup! Crazy.. :D

More than an hour and a half of tough training was behind us and we were both getting tired. It was like - just one more time... Concentration was low and that's when accidents happen.

my partner caught me right where the ribs and sternum meet with a full force punch

That sounds bad... How long did it take before you could breathe without pain? I heard that sternum/rib injuries take more than 2 months to heal.

That sounds bad... How long did it take before you could breathe without pain? I heard that sternum/rib injuries take more than 2 months to heal.

It took at least 4 weeks, and it still hurts if someone hugs me hard or if my ribs get squished in any way.

God has not given us a spirit of fear, but a spirit of love, a spirit of power, and of self-discipline.

2 Timothy 1:7