• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Belts

a_ninja

It does vary, i know loads of different shotokan practitionars whose belt system are different. But here is mine.

White

Orange

Red

Yellow

Green

Purple

purple/white

brown

brown/white

brown/white/white

black

I think I've noticed you say this somewhere before and was always surprised by it. In many systems Red is usually close to black or even a grand master's rank. Do you know if there was a reason it was put so low in the system? Thanks.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
It does vary, i know loads of different shotokan practitionars whose belt system are different. But here is mine.

White

Orange

Red

Yellow

Green

Purple

purple/white

brown

brown/white

brown/white/white

black

I think I've noticed you say this somewhere before and was always surprised by it. In many systems Red is usually close to black or even a grand master's rank. Do you know if there was a reason it was put so low in the system? Thanks.

Red is quite a new addition to the Shotokan syllabus... I suspect it was probably just slotted in somewhere where it fitted in with the other colours around it. I've always found it odd that orange is before yellow, as the belt is supposed to get darker. Again, I suspect that orange was probably there before and yellow was slotted in. (Just my opinion)

Interesting Sandokai have red as their first belt, they have to grade up to white, and red is also their 9th and 10th dan belts... so they see themselves going full circle. (Fits in nicely with the idea of Shu Ha Ri)

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

I'm not sure to be honest. The only other art i have known red belt to be towards black is TKD, is that right?

Yeah, in some schools, Kerry. It is that way in the ATA, but in the TTA, there isn't one. We have 3 levels of brown, instead.