• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Breast Protection for ladies

Shotokan-kez

I've had a couple of types for karate and found them both to be cumbersome and uncomfortable. The first sort was like a plastic shield that fitted over the breast area, over your bra and the second was like an athletic/sports bra but with removable inserts.

The first sort is very uncomfortable and I found it dug into me everytime I tried to do anything remotely athletic. The second sort is better, but didn't provide protection for all the breast area. Plus, the inserts were very heavy and I felt like I was wearing lead weights.

Also, there's the problem of wearing them - if you know it's gonna be a whole lesson of sparring then you wear it from the start. However, if you've just done 3/4 of a lesson on kata then the instructor decides to throw in a little light sparring to finish off with it is very awkward to have to rush out to put the breast protector on.

As I also train in TKD as well as karate I own a hogu (TKD chest protector) and I just ask to wear that it Karate class if I know we are doing a lot of sparring, especially if I'm up against someone with not a lot of control. I don't bother with the other female chest protectors now, I just wear one if I have to for competition.

Kez, you might be better off asking your instructor if you could wear a TKD type trunk protector, as it covers all the breast area and absorbs most of the impact.

I know it's not strictly a Karate piece of kit, but more and more karate-only competitions are allowing competitors to wear them and it will only be a matter of time before they're compulsory for many points competitions.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• 5 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Here are a couple of different types, including female groin protectors: http://store.titleboxing.com/female-boxing-gear.html

I'm a guy so I can't vouch for their comfort. I do know that they are improving them all the time, especially now that women are getting into MMA. I'll bet you can find something you could wear all class. It might take some getting used to, but so do groin protectors. After awhile you barely feel them.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

• 3 weeks later...

Breast protection took a while to get use to.

And female groin protection is a must!!!

Seen a lady on the floor in great pain from a groin strike a 3 weeks ago.

Always send s a chill down my spine when I see that!!! :o

• 1 year later...

I have one of those Sparring Vests that tie up in front. Blue dots on one side Red dots on the other. I take it too class all the time. I could not find one that is large enough that goes under the Gi. And personally the ones that have just the cup inserts I feel do not add protection. Sure the breasts are protected but what about the rest of the chest. I feel more comfortable with the Vest.

I

The only difference between the possible and the impossible is one's will.

- Hironori Ohtsuka Sensei -

I just use the cup inserts when we spare my sensei gives me enough time to get them in I am able to move in them and I feel they protect me good enough, I just would not grapple in them I did once and had a bruise from them.

My wife bought hers from Tokon and she's very happy with it. It's not as cumbersome as the two above and is meant to be worn under your go.

http://www.tokon.com/shop/shop/category.asp?catid=4

+1. This is a good one. We sell the Cool Guard version. Most of our customers like them better than turtle shell types because the inserts wrap around the sides a bit. Supposed to be more comfortable and a little more protection. I don't know if there's a UK distributor.

We also have customers who like the Adidas WKF Female Chest protector, but that might be mostly because it's required for WKF kumite competition. Since they're WKF approved, they should be available in the UK.

http://www.seka-sports.com/product_protectors_lady_cp.asp

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

• 3 weeks later...

A few years ago I bought a contraption from Century Martial Arts online they call "turtle shells" and it worked really well for me. I had gotten hit in the same spot as you and when I started wearing my good ole turtle shells, the next time I was hit, the person who hit me hurt their hand ! LMAO !!

It's made of hard plastic and they sell them by cup size. I haven't gone on their website in a long time so I don't know if they are still in business or sell them but I'm sure other martial arts supplies stores sell them. The way they work is you insert these white plastic shells into a sports-bra-like top which has these pockets inside the sports bra, and that hides the shells. Its actually comfortable and not cumbersome to wear, in fact, no one knows you're wearing it unless they decide to punch you in the chest. The only thing is they cover only the actual breasts (individually) and not your sternum or rib cage like the other chest protectors do.

I really recommend them, so I hope you're able to locate it.

"Never argue with an idiot because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ Dilbert

• 1 month later...

We sell the Cool Guard and Maxi Guard protectors, and also supply the Tops separately if people don't want the actual protectors, useful for keeping the breasts in place when wearing a TKD body protector!

At present the largest size is around a 36D, but I am hoping to convince the manufacturer to bring out larger sizes.

Suppliers of Professional Martial Arts Equipment

https://www.black-eagle.co.uk

• 1 year later...