• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Proper Etiquette for Master Gichin Funakoshi Picture

Dojo Moe

Hello, I'm new to this great site and would like to get some advice from all you experts.

In our Dojo we have a picture Master Gichin Funakoshi which inspires me greatly, so in my living room /Dojo at home I placed a similar picture.

My question is should it be there only when I'm training or is it ok to have the photo displayed at all times.

The reason it stays out is because seeing it all the time keeps me constantly inspired.

I also would not want to be disrespectful or have anyone think that I’m obsessed with Karate (although I am)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hey man what ever chokes your chicken :D

No seriously though if these photos inspire you more power to you however these are not religious figures.

However you might want to ask yourself these questions.

Did Sensei Funakoshi have a photo of himself when he needed inspiration?

How all the great Martial arts did masters that were around before photographs manage to find inspiration?

I feeling is that you are taking the wrong subject to far but if it makes you happy enjoy wholeheartedly.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I say go ahead. You say it inspires you now, but the source of your inspiration may change later on. Or, you may not even need any at all.

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU WOULD DISHONOR HIM BY PUTTING HIM IN YOUR LIVING ROOM!!! :x

Just kidding, I couldn't help myself. :D

It's just a picture. You can hang it above your toilet if it makes you feel better. Might seem a little creepy though.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

It's just a picture. You can hang it above your toilet if it makes you feel better. Might seem a little creepy though.

Just don't start bowing to him before you go to the bathroom! :lol:

I think that the photos of the founders & past grandmasters can be inspirational but only to a certain extent. Karate is something that becomes part of you, no 2 people practice exactly the same and so with that I think inspiration should come from within. I have 2 plaques with famous quotes on the wall in my dojo. One has both Kanazawa Sensei and the other Miyagi and Yamaguchi Sensei on it.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

I don't believe it to be disrespectful, especially with it being inspirational. We all have something different that inspires us. Mine is the gentleness my sensei has with his classes, despite his 35+ years of training in martial arts, his patience, and his utterly outstanding skills. I look at him and think someday I hope to be that good.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

When I was a kid, I had a poster of Farrah Fawcett in my room (yes, I'm old).

I found it quite inspirational.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu