masterintraining

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny. I was in Walmart on Sunday and saw this very playset. My immediate reaction was that it was a bit cheesy and silly.

Though I think Patrick makes a good point, this is not the same as a child playing cops and robbers. This toyset makes the claim that your child will learn self-defense. To me, it is more analogous to giving a child a BB gun and lessons and telling him he will be able to competently defend himself against an attacker with it.

Karate is a weapon, and a means of self-defense, and just as I wouldn't seek to protect myself with a paintball or BB gun, I also wouldn't want my son to develop a false sense of confidence with the tools he might acquire from a $20 toyset. It would be more appropriate if they marketed the toy for what it is, a toy, and not make ridiculous claims that a child would become a "karate master".

I got my tail kicked in a fight many years back in middle school simply because I was overconfident in my abilities after a few boxing lessons. I shudder to think in today's world what risks an overconfident child would face with the "skills" acquired from this playset.

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate any tool that gets kids excited about martial arts. But I think my child would get more benefit from a month of kids karate class at the local Y or the city rec center than from this product.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

We're all a bunch of people who take the time to check a Karate forum every day. I think that qualifies all of us as a geek of some sort. :lol:

On slow work days, I'm often on here checking for new posts about every hour or so :D

I know on my days off, I spend a lot of time here. Even at work, I get some good time in, too.

Ahhh, yes Sohan has finally seen the light.

Now come take your place in my loyal army of martial artist minions (yes I provide medical and dental healthcare :wink: )

But seriously, that's exactly what I was trying to get at. The marketing of this product is entirely wrong. Probably not a MA in the marketing company that worked on this.

Just my two cents.

The instructor is "Tommy Nitro".

Doing a quick Google search appears to show that Tommy Nitro is just a stage name and the real actor is Lucas Lynette-Krech. IMDB

As far as the storyline, here is what was put down on Internet Movie Data Base (IMDB):

Tommy Nitro lives in a world of comic books, caught between his shy, quiet existence, and the adventures of his comic book hero, karate-master Sensei Nobu. One day Tommy is walking home from school and is surrounding by The Crimson Sausage Gang, the villains from his favorite comic book. In order to thwart them, Sensei Nobu teaches him karate and Tommy in turn helps to teach you at home. But who will win the final showdown between Tommy and the Crimson Sausage?

Always great to have a villain named Crimson Sausage :roll: Did the writer name him after his/her lunch that day?

I tried doing a search for Lucas Lynette-Krech and the only things I could come up with (aside from him being bashed in other forums about this playset) is on IMDB itself.

So it appears that this is instructional VHS/DVD is not even being taught by someone with actually MA experience (at least any I could find)

According to the product:

With this Karate Kick Home Studio, you'll become a Karate Master in your very own home! Learn blocks, punches, stances, & kicks all in a fun & safe way. Comes complete with a 30 minute action packed video, training mat with easy step by step instructions, and an inflatable heavy bag to master your moves. Become a Karate Master with Tommy Nitro & his team as they teach you the coolest karate moves! For ages 3 yrs and up.

Criminals beware! There will soon be an army of 3 year old Karate Masters roaming the streets! I think that we can all sleep a little better at night....

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt