masterintraining

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a problem with it being treated as a toy for kids to play with and live in fantasy land. I too did the whole cops and robbers thing when I was little.

My problem, as I've stated, comes from the verbage of the it's marketing. It directly states both on the box and in the product description that it will teach you to be a karate master. Now how many other toys of different categories do you see making the same claim?

I have never seen a Big Wheels claiming it will teach kids to drive a car. I have never seen a toy gun claiming it will help teach kids to improve their aim. I have never seen a pair of toy handcuffs claiming it will teach kids how to restrain someone more effectively. I have never seen a football cleat claiming it will help teach kids how to avoid tackles better. And so on.

The reason you don't see these claims on other toys is due to common sense of the consumers and the perceptions of said toys. Practically anyone can determine that a Big Wheels won't help you drive or a cap gun won't help you shoot as cars has been around in the mainstream society since the turn of the century and guns even longer.

However, martial arts has only starting to gain popularity and become more well known in about the past thirty years. There are still plenty of common misconceptions that we as martial artists hear today.

But by putting on your toy that usage will teach a child to become a "karate master"--I would bet that someone somewhere will believe it, buy it, have their child use it, and then honestly believe their child is a karate master and not get them adequate and real training. Even if it's just for a month or so--let the child see what martial arts is really all about.

That is why I have a problem with the verbage on it.

By your logic we shouldn't sell police, fire fighter, soldier, rock star, and sports star toys.

That's not what I'm saying. Yes, they are toys and they should be treated and sold as toys. Not as a substitute for a real thing. How many toy police sets do you see that say right on the package Learn to be a police officer!? Or a toy gun that reads Learn to shoot terrorists like like the Marines!?

Like I said before, it's all in the marketing. And unfortunately, it's like bushido_man96 said:

People will try to market anything that they can to make a buck.

I bought this and now Im stronger than Bruce Lee. LOL ^_^.

Seriously though. About the only possitive I can see with this is letting your kid see if they might want to give Karate a try with out having to go through the troubles of testing out at a real dojo. Less expensive I guess.

^_^Although It would make a great gag gift for my Sensei this christmas. LOL ^_^

My parents have just unkindly (and coincidentally) been relating the story of how having seen some kick boxing on the tv I got into a fight with a substantially larger kid at school when I was 9. Convinced I could put into practice what I had "learned" I provoked him before demonstrating my "skills". It did not end well. Not all children are as stupid as me but it might be a cautionary tale to those in favour of telling 8 year olds they can become karate masters in 30 minutes.

Not all children are as stupid as me but it might be a cautionary tale to those in favour of telling 8 year olds they can become karate masters in 30 minutes.

At this point, it is up to the parents to give cautionary measures to their children. And besides all that, I am sure that there are cautionary statements somewhere in the literature that the toy comes with.

It really isn't any worse than martial arts movies and cartoons that have characters flying around or doing outlandish moves that more often than not involve some kind of wire work.

Ahhh... you mean I can't learn the Kahmehameha? :kaioken:

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

It really isn't any worse than martial arts movies and cartoons that have characters flying around or doing outlandish moves that more often than not involve some kind of wire work.

Ahhh... you mean I can't learn the Kahmehameha? :kaioken:

I am sorry to be the one to break the news to you.....(I am not even sure what that is??? :lol: )

Sorry... Dragonball Z reference... Yes I am a geek....

We're all a bunch of people who take the time to check a Karate forum every day. I think that qualifies all of us as a geek of some sort. :lol:

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."