• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What book are you currently reading?

bushido_man96

In case I haven't mentioned it before, You all may want to check out The Iron Circle: the True Story of Dominique Vandenburg.

That Book absolutely rocks! Goes into his early life as a Judo fighter, up to his professional fighting days, into his time in The French Foreign Legion and so on.

Great read.

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

• 7 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just bought a new book called "The Power of Less" by Leo Babauta, so I thought I'd bring this thread up. :)

Just finished out the first couple of sagas of the Black Company books by Glen Cook. All very strong reads.

Alos spent alot of time checking out Wrestling for Fighting by Couture. I did a review elsewhere on the board.

Picking through Made in America by Mat Hughes. Just ok.

Bed time reading is American Gods by Neil Gaiman. So far, so good.

On deck is The Looming Tower about 9/11

I am currently in a holding patter with three books:

1. Deep Fathom by James Rollins. This is the one I am concentrating on for the most part right now; my pleasure reading. I have read a lot of fiction lately, kind of re-discovering it. And I'm loving it...

2. The TaeGuek Cipher by Simon John O'Neill. Pretty good read; its an interesting take on the self-defense applications of the main set of WTF colored belt forms.

3. Total Aikido by Gozo Shioda. This is a pretty complex Aikido text, and I am hoping that as I go along with my Aikido lessons, that more and more of this book will open up to me.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm actually looking for a new book. Anyone know any good fantasy ones dealing with eastern philosphy or has MA in it ??. Seemed everyone I picked up was the typical fantasy novel you find everywhere.

Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series has some decidedly eastern thread running thru it. But it certainly dosn't focus on such things. The mentor figure Lan from the first few books is more samurai than knight but again, it's a subtle thing.

One of RA Salvatore's early runs The Cleric Quintet had a major figure who was a monk, but I don't remember the ma's being handeled particularly well in it. The ideas of the books are pretty good, the execution is a bit dubious however.

I enjoyed the fun of the Destroyer books while I was in high school, they're really not fantasy but after you read a couple they might as well be. He beats alot of stuff up, including at one point a robot named Achillies that he has to kill by kicking in the heel if I recall correctly. You've been warned.

I'm sure there are pleny, I just haven't read them.