• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Does anyone do any Hae Sul? (bunkai?)

I was wondering if any of the Korean stylists out there do any of the karate type forms applications. In Karate it is called bunkai. I have recently read a book on Korean forms applications, called Hae Sul. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I was wondering if any of the Korean stylists out there do any of the karate type forms applications. In Karate it is called bunkai. I have recently read a book on Korean forms applications, called Hae Sul. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with it.

I do some on my own, but my organization doesn't train applications. Since we train jujutsu it helps figure out some of the applications. What form are you working right now?

I do some on my own, but my organization doesn't train applications. Since we train jujutsu it helps figure out some of the applications. What form are you working right now?

My organization doesn't work them either, so I have to do my own as well. I haven't got to do any lately. I have a book that has some in it, though.

Is that Stuart Paul Anslow's book "Cha'ang Hon Taekwon-do Hae Sul :Real Applications to the ITF Patterns"? If so then it is a great book. There are not too many books on bunkai/hae sul out there and few are as researched as this and no other are TKD based. I do not usally recommend TKD books but this is top of the list. I recommend this book to all TKD practitioners even if they don't do the Ch'ang Hon (ITF) patterns. Before anyone ask I only have the book and do not know Mr. Anslow. He is based in the UK and I am in deep south Texas. Great Book.

Is that Stuart Paul Anslow's book "Cha'ang Hon Taekwon-do Hae Sul :Real Applications to the ITF Patterns"? If so then it is a great book. There are not too many books on bunkai/hae sul out there and few are as researched as this and no other are TKD based. I do not usally recommend TKD books but this is top of the list. I recommend this book to all TKD practitioners even if they don't do the Ch'ang Hon (ITF) patterns. Before anyone ask I only have the book and do not know Mr. Anslow. He is based in the UK and I am in deep south Texas. Great Book.

Yes, it is the same book. :)

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the recommendation!

I've been looking lately for some really good books on TKD (not just Hae Sul, but all aspects of TKD) and that one sounds great.

Amazon here I come... :D :lol:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

My new instructor does some. But she said that I should figure out some bunkai on my own (best way to learn). I figured some out, but I haven't worked bunkai in a while.

I guess figuring out your own is a good way to learn. It also helps to build on some Ho Sin Sul, wouldn't you say?

• 3 months later...

actually, i have been doing kempo for a while and heard and learned about bunkai, and asked my instructors if we had the same thing, and we do, but we do not teach it, i dont know why. i was very disappointed, so im developing it myself with the help of the masters who know it, and adding it into the classes that i teach.

in tang soo,

k.chuilli

K.Chuilli

2nd Dan, Instructor

Kyo Sah Nim

Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do

actually, i have been doing kempo for a while and heard and learned about bunkai, and asked my instructors if we had the same thing, and we do, but we do not teach it, i dont know why. i was very disappointed, so im developing it myself with the help of the masters who know it, and adding it into the classes that i teach.

in tang soo,

k.chuilli

That is a good deal. I am considering working on it as well. For now, I will just work on it with my brother and another partner in our own training sessions. Later on, though, who knows? Maybe I'll get the opportunity to share it with others.