• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

OK, I think my knees are gone

bushido_man96

It may be in the soft tissue and not in the joint itself. If it was bad knees I doubt both of them would go bad at the same time, especially at your age. You may need to see a rheumatologist. I had the same problem several years ago (still do sometimes). In my case it was reactive arthritis (a type of rheumatoid) that started in the knees and then spread throughout my body. The Rheumatologist was able to get it under control with prednisone and sulfasalazine. After a couple of years I was able to go off medication altogether. These days I have a minor flair up once in a while but manage to grit my teeth and work through it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It may be in the soft tissue and not in the joint itself. If it was bad knees I doubt both of them would go bad at the same time, especially at your age. You may need to see a rheumatologist. I had the same problem several years ago (still do sometimes). In my case it was reactive arthritis (a type of rheumatoid) that started in the knees and then spread throughout my body. The Rheumatologist was able to get it under control with prednisone and sulfasalazine. After a couple of years I was able to go off medication altogether. These days I have a minor flair up once in a while but manage to grit my teeth and work through it.

Sounds good. I may have to try that out.

i think you should consider loseing some weight( 60 lbs may be? :bawling: , I am 180 and been trying to lose 8lbs with no success in last 2 years :kaioken: ), in each kick or pivot you are putting a lots of extra pressure on your knees which can creates meniscus tears , you gotta take some MRI to make sure you Meniscus is ok,

On the knee brace subject, my physiotherapist told me to get a magnetised one as part of my rehab when I tore my cruciate ligament. This combined with glucosamine sulphate helped a lot, but the pain has never gone away fully. The aching when sitting down is painfully familiar!

i think you should consider loseing some weight( 60 lbs may be? :bawling: , I am 180 and been trying to lose 8lbs with no success in last 2 years :kaioken: ), in each kick or pivot you are putting a lots of extra pressure on your knees which can creates meniscus tears , you gotta take some MRI to make sure you Meniscus is ok,

Losing 60 lbs would be quite a bit. I would like to be around 210, but it would take some major life-style changes to get there.

Bushido, I agree with PAL. It's likely not a coincidence that you have knee problems and are also "big boned". You may find that losing about 40-50 lbs or more would likely make your knee problems miraculously disappear.

And if it takes major life-style change, so be it. It's your health.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Bushido, I agree with PAL. It's likely not a coincidence that you have knee problems and are also "big boned". You may find that losing about 40-50 lbs or more would likely make your knee problems miraculously disappear.

With respect,

Sohan

Yeah, I know. I never considered myself "big-boned." I am just big. The funny thing is, when I started to work out more, I didn't seem to lose. And I have been doing more than just lifting weights. I am not really gaining either, but just not losing.

I find (for myself) losing weight has much more to do with diet than just excercise and working out. If you're doign all this training and lifting but still eating pizzas every couple nights, is just not gonna go away. At least, thats how I've found it to be. ( I'm trying to get down to about 170 or at least lose the gut, but its been no good, and I blame the fact that I am a picky eater and dont do so well dieting).

Having said that. I think that trying to lose 60 lbs is a bit of a task setting up for disapointment. Sure I believe goals are good, and that anyone can accomplish it if they put their minds to it, but the fact is its not easy. Aim for 20 - 25 lbs with a diet that is realistic to keep. I bet losing 20 lbs would make a huge difference in how you feel, and would be easier to keep off rather than use a radical diet that you couldnt possibel stick to, just to temporarily drop 60 lbs.

Anyways, in my opinion if your knees feel that bad, a visit to the doctor would bring you better advise than I can offer.

I play a wrestling game online. If you'd like to play follow this link

http://www.thewrestlinggame.com/wg.asp?w= 133896

With respect,

Sohan

Yeah, I know. I never considered myself "big-boned." I am just big. The funny thing is, when I started to work out more, I didn't seem to lose. And I have been doing more than just lifting weights. I am not really gaining either, but just not losing.

Do you have a Registered Dietician in your area that specializes in weight loss? You could ask your doctor for a recommendation.

You might also want to get your thyroid checked, just to rule that out as a cause.

It could be your training program, it could be your diet, it could be your hormone levels, it could be your genes. And it could be all of the above. Keep your chin up. You'll find the solution.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu