• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you know

shukokai2000

Boy Oh Boy?

According to our Ancestors & Grand-Masters it can take a Student ALIFE TIME to know 1 Kata,nevermind 59? I am sorry but I would be looking for another dojo if my Sensi said their is 59 kata`s to learn as he who teaches all those mustn`t have mastered any one of them?unless HE is at least 500 years old...... :roll: lol

No Offence To Anyone!!!

Joe

It's not so much the kata that's important, it's the technique. You get the technique down and any kata you do will be good. It's just learning sequence. And to be clear, all 59 aren't required to get shodan.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the style or taught at the person's school?

My school teaches about thirty (30) kata, as follows:

Warmup 1-3

Tensho

Kihon I - V

Naifanchi I - III

Seisan

Pinan I - V

Passai Sho, Dai

Kusanku Sho, Dai

Chinto

Jion

Gojushiho

Chatanyara no Kusanku

Kopassai Sho

Tetso

and we just added (due to a recent Okinawa visit) Fukyugata ichi and ni

Now, the style itself does not have Tensho*(1), Tetso*(2) nor Kihon III - V*(2,3), but does have other kata, such as Unsu and Wansu. I would imagine that there are a lot of schools that are the same way - there are kata found in the school that are not part of the styles as a whole, and kata that are in the style that are not taught in the school.

*1 Tensho is a Goju Ryu kata. It's a nifty kata that Takeshi Miyagi teaches in his schools b/c he likes the kata, but is not used for grading purposes (lineage: Miyagi -> Lilley -> Simons -> Me).

*2 While these kata are of the style (Mirahira created Tetso, Miyagi created Kihon III, IV, Sensei created Kihon V), Mirahira and company stated that no kata newer then 1950 will be accepted into the Ryu.

*3 I remember Sensei mentioning that Chosin Chibana taught the kata we (our dojo) call warm up kata as Kihon I -III, and that the kata that we call Kihon I - II were Kihon IV - V. All of these kata are accepted as part of the Ryu.

"Karate is NOT about the colour of belt you wear it is about the person you become;...to be a good blackbelt is to be humble and respectful amongst other things." -Dobbersky

Hi to all,

...from 26 katas i know this ones:

Heian Shodan

Heian Nidan

Heian Sandan

Heian Yondan

Heian Godan

Bassai Dai

Jion

Jitte

Empi

Tekki Shodan

Tekki Nidan

Nijushiho

Kanku Dai

Best regards,

Samurai

Justice & Morality, Polite Courtesy, Heroic Courage, Honor, Compassion, Complete Sincerty, Duty & Loyalty ... principals worth living, ideas worth dying for.