shukokai2000

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it interesting that the Shotokan people have learned Katas beyond Tekki Shodan, but have not learned Nidan and Sandan. The Tekki trio is so important to learn for your development...

For myself, it would be more of how many I "knew" versus know. I knew 26 out of 26.

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

katas that i know the moves and practice regularly,

shorin ryu shorinkan 14 of 14 (one day per week)

shorin ryu kenshin kai 13 of 14 (one day per week)

white crane karate jutsu 11 (everynight soft kata)

goju ryu Sanchin (everynight hard kata)

shorin ryu Miubukan Seiru (everynight hard kata)

kata droped during the years,

shino jenin ryu taisabaki katas 3, Seiru

shorin ryu Seibukan Seisan,

shorin ryu Matsubayashi ryu Wankan

Reyui Ryu Anan

Goju ryu Tensho,Saifa,Seiyunchin, Gekisai series

Hanshi Nakazato made up kata Gorin

Hi there are 15 katas in my style go-kan-ryu, of which I practise 2 currently:

Taigyoku shodan

Taigyoku nidan

after this comes

Saifa

Bassai Dai

Seiunchin

Empi

Sanseryu

Sepai

Hangetsu

Kanku-Dai

Kururunfa

Shisochin

Kanku-sho

Seisan

Sochin

That takes you up to 4th Dan, quite a way from where I am now!

• 8 months later...

Boy Oh Boy?

According to our Ancestors & Grand-Masters it can take a Student ALIFE TIME to know 1 Kata,nevermind 59? I am sorry but I would be looking for another dojo if my Sensi said their is 59 kata`s to learn as he who teaches all those mustn`t have mastered any one of them?unless HE is at least 500 years old...... :roll: lol

No Offence To Anyone!!!

Joe

Boy Oh Boy?

According to our Ancestors & Grand-Masters it can take a Student ALIFE TIME to know 1 Kata,nevermind 59? I am sorry but I would be looking for another dojo if my Sensi said their is 59 kata`s to learn as he who teaches all those mustn`t have mastered any one of them?unless HE is at least 500 years old...... :roll: lol

No Offence To Anyone!!!

Joe

Anything that takes a lifetime to master can't be that useful! Most people need to learn fighting techniques while they're still alive enough to use them!

I honestly dont know how many katas there are in my system, but I know there are about 23-24 up to Shodan.

I dont know how many more there are per Dan level after you reach Shodan though.

Oh and currently, I *technically* only know 2 :P ... but I was walked through my third the other day by a black belt "student", and while I know what technique/stances to do where in it, I havent been critiqued on it yet and I wont need to really know it anyway untill *after* I pass my next test.

Boy Oh Boy?

No Offence To Anyone!!!

Joe

Us Wado boys only have 15 Katas and they take about 5 years to learn. They take a lifetime to master however but that’s by the by.

We have bags loads of "kumite" though probably more than any other style. Also don't forget that wado was the style of Karate that brought "Ji-Yu Kumite" into the Karate world.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com