• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bassai-Sho

Shotokan-kez

i have always heard that bassai/passai dai is the "storming of the enemy fortress" where part "sho" was later created to represent leaving the enemy's fortress after the main action of "dai" has already been performed.

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Yasutsune Itosu is credited with the creation of Passai Sho (Bassai So).

R. McLain

but passai sho and Bassai sho are not the same, does it mean Itosu created 2 passai? we know Bassai dai is a Itosu kata for sure but i don't think any shorin ryu style practice anything close to Bassai sho which makes me think that is not a Itosu kata.

Yes, they are. Bassai So is the Korean pronounciation of "Passai Sho." Now, maybe the Korean version has changed from teacher to teacher in Korea. But, this is originally the same form.

Eizo Shimabukuro (Shorin-Ryu) in Ginoza Village, Okinawa teaches this form.

R. McLain

i guess you misunderstood, we are talking about Bassai sho in Shotokan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GQu9N0e8SQ

is this what you call passai sho or Korean Bassai So?

in shorin ryu (at least all 3 styles that i know, kobayashi,seito,matsubayashi) we don't have such a kata.

Yes, Yasutsune Itosu is credited with the creation of Passai Sho (Bassai So).

R. McLain

but passai sho and Bassai sho are not the same, does it mean Itosu created 2 passai? we know Bassai dai is a Itosu kata for sure but i don't think any shorin ryu style practice anything close to Bassai sho which makes me think that is not a Itosu kata.

Yes, they are. Bassai So is the Korean pronounciation of "Passai Sho." Now, maybe the Korean version has changed from teacher to teacher in Korea. But, this is originally the same form.

Eizo Shimabukuro (Shorin-Ryu) in Ginoza Village, Okinawa teaches this form.

R. McLain

i guess you misunderstood, we are talking about Bassai sho in Shotokan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GQu9N0e8SQ

is this what you call passai sho or Korean Bassai So?

in shorin ryu (at least all 3 styles that i know, kobayashi,seito,matsubayashi) we don't have such a kata.

You're correct, I misunderstood. The version of Bassai So (Passai Sho, Palsek So) I practice originally came from the Shudokan line from Toyama Kanken, not Shotokan. So, it looks different than the Shotokan video you provided the link for. This will give me material for research as Toyama and Funakoshi had one of the same teachers in Okinawa, Yasutsune Itosu. So, I'm curious as to the difference. I was in Okinawa for most of November 2006 researching, but I never had the opportunity to visit a matsubayashi shorin-ryu dojo (though it is one of the 4 major styles of karate there now).

Sometimes little changes happen due to interpretation, but that video is quite different than the way I practice the form.

R. McLain

this is Matsubayashi version which is a little bit different from Itosu no passai and Matsumura no Passai, it think they also call it Tomari no Passai

I couldn't find our version of passai(Kobayashi/shorinkan) but i will post it on youtube later.

Edited by P.A.L

this is Matsubayashi version which is a little bit different from Itosu no passai and Matsumura no Passai, it think they also call it Tomari no Passai

I couldn't find out version of passai(Kobayashi/shorinkan) but i will post it on youtube later.

I kind of liked this kata. Very sharp hand techniques, and I liked the knee techniques as well.