• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Buying a new gi

Hey guys there has probably been posts about this before. I want to buy a new gi. My gi that i'm using is getting tatty, it's very lightweight and made by empi. It cost me £20 at the time but i dont really like it. Now it's gone very 'knobbly' with washing and also i don't like it because it always comes un-tucked from under my belt.

Can anyone suggest a good heavy-ish gi that won't un-tuck? What weight is best, i know they come in ounzes but i don't want the heaviest. Also i like the one's where the tops come down longer. Any suggestions?

Kez :karate:

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I would check out the gis on Century.com and see if they have any you like. They have some of the bigger brand names, and perhaps some lower key brands that may not cost as much. You may like something in the 8 to 10 ounce range.

Make sure it's also a gi that you can dry (and not shrink to nothing). It's a pain when you train several days a week, and have to hang dry your gi. I train just two days a week and I even find it a pain in the rear to hang dry my gi.

Anyways, for Shotokan, I would go with a medium weight gi range. I like Pro Force gi's. I still have my very first one from TSD, and it's still in good shape. And I have washed the heck out of it (and dried).

Laurie F

i know of a couple of shops in Manchester that sell Gi's, you may get it trade if you ask them

Where abouts and which one's? I know of one in manchester at piccadilly.

Thanks Brandon for that info, i think i am leaning towards a kamizaki gi.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk