• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What the best guard position when point sparring?

chillindan

Hi, I have only just started sparring last month but I have found that the people I have been fighting all have different guards. I also find that when I use a high guard to protect my face I get caught out with kicks to the front as I see them coming too late.

Any suggestions on the most effective guard for points sparring?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Hi, I have only just started sparring last month but I have found that the people I have been fighting all have different guards. I also find that when I use a high guard to protect my face I get caught out with kicks to the front as I see them coming too late.

Any suggestions on the most effective guard for points sparring?

Keep your elbows down to protect your sides, keep your forearms straight (i.e. no bent wrist) and your striking knuckles pointing at your opponent so you can punch without telegraphing. Use distancing and a fluid guard to protect your head. Keep relaxed and mobile, not stiff.

I'm guessing if you've only just started, it's lack of experience rather than any major technical flaw that's letting your opponents hit you. Think about distancing much much more than guard. Once your opponent's in range, they can proabably get past your guard anyway so keep them where you want them. If you see them moving into range, hit them.

When I spar I'm always moving around, changing my legs round and guard sometimes in some sort of forward cat stance so its easy to whip out a front kick with speed towards an incoming attack. just how I fight not saying its right or anything:)

Ashley Aldworth

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

I'd also say "always spar as if you're fighting!". You shouldn't be trying to harm your opponent in light sparring, but you should be trying use it as an exercise to prepare you for a scrap. So try not to fall too much into "point sparring" habits like standing side on or over-extending your reach to tap your opponent.

Always imagine you're fighting these guys!

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=9171300151662938375&q=shotokan

And I say,it doesnt realy matter as you will not get hurt anyway you choose to guard yourself.

THE TRUE ESSENCE OF THE MARTIAL WAY CAN BE REALISED ONLY THROUGH EXPIRIENCE;KNOWING THIS NEVER FEAR ITS DEMANDS.

Personally, I think this is one of the many areas that stinks about point fighting. The problems that I have had is that if you block something partially, but it still slides through, the opponent gets the point anyways. These point rules end up making for guards that don't really work otherwise.

I would say just keep your hands up, so you can guard your head, and learn to move your arms and body around to protect yourself. In the long run, you'll be glad you did.

And I say,it doesnt realy matter as you will not get hurt anyway you choose to guard yourself.
So you shouldn't train as realistically as the exercise allows? I'm not sure I agree with that philosophy.

Thanks for the tips. I just had a lesson tonight actually and we did 40 mins of kumite. I think I did ok tonight but I think perhaps I need to focus more on the techniques I am trying to execute. I seem to find that when I am sparring with a physically weaker opponant I am 'cheating' and using my strength to win rather than focusing on employing correct techniques.

I know in a street fight you would defend yourself by any means possible (including running away), but I think that if I spent more time now developing correct technique I would be able to deliver more powerful and accurate punches in the long.

Sorry got a bit off post there but all comments/advise welcome. I triead a number of different guards tonight. I found that the most effective method of protecting myself was to keep my arms well out in front of me, this also had the advantage of being able to better see front kicks 'sneaking' in.

I also think that it is important to train as if you were needing to defend yourself, sonofkanga. Many other posters on different threads have pointed out to me that if you ever find yourself needing to fight, you will fight as you train. So if you fail to protect yourself adequately when you spar you will also fall into this trap if you ever need to defend yourself.

for myself i try and be as sideways as possible, with the occasional taunt by fully facing the opponent..

with my hands i have my front hand just lying down infront of me so my fingers hang near my thigh, i use this hand for fast strikes if im on offensive or blocking kicks and such to the mid...

my back hand is slightly infront of my face just below my chin... this covers half of my body from attack and with a slight arm motion i can cover the rest of it.. this is also my punching hand, as i find that my fav attack is to put my front hand in the way of their leg and through a reverse punch...

i may be able to get u a pic if this doesnt make sense

Brown belt... win trophies... grade... lose trophies... so much fun