• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

30yr old looking for a karate style

dozer

Hello,I am new to this site and I'm sorry if this sounds repetitive.I am 30 years old and I am looking for a karate style to study.My 3 options are chito-ryu,goju-ryu and wado-ryu.I was wondering which, if any, of these styles include roundhouse kicks in their teachings.I would also like to know which of these is most physically demanding(I love a good sweat).And my last question is,which of these styles is more suited to competition(sparring)?I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The standerd answer is :check them all out , give each about a month.

decide for yourself which suits you best.

assuming all schools have competant instructors, its more down to personal likings thah anything else.

All styles incorperate roundhouse kicks,all can make you work up a sweat.

THE TRUE ESSENCE OF THE MARTIAL WAY CAN BE REALISED ONLY THROUGH EXPIRIENCE;KNOWING THIS NEVER FEAR ITS DEMANDS.

wado ryu is the least physically demanding out of the three you mentioned. all your options have roundhouse kicks incorperated. that leaves chito and goju. go check the classes and see who is the better instructor. also, go check out the wado school also. you might find that you like it. wado is pretty much shotokan karate mixed with jiu jitsu, so you might find that grappling is very fun. there would be many tournaments where you would be able to grapple or spar in so dont worry about that.whether the tourneys are open or specific, you'll most likely be able to compete.

Hello there, welcome to the forums. There's not much else to say really, the others have said it all. Best bet is to go check out the classes a few times, speak with the sensei's and then decide which suits you best. Good luck.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

wado ryu is the least physically demanding out of the three you mentioned. all your options have roundhouse kicks incorperated. that leaves chito and goju. go check the classes and see who is the better instructor. also, go check out the wado school also. you might find that you like it. wado is pretty much shotokan karate mixed with jiu jitsu, so you might find that grappling is very fun. there would be many tournaments where you would be able to grapple or spar in so dont worry about that.whether the tourneys are open or specific, you'll most likely be able to compete.

Not to sure if Ju-Jitsu is incorperated in Wado

have to check this one out, as my cheif instructor started out in Wado in '64' and never mention grappling

Welcome to the Forums! :karate:

I have never studied a Karate style, so I can't offer much more than historic info, and I would have to look that up. However, as was stated, what is important is that you find a good instructor that has a teaching style that you prefer, and watch each of the classes to see how hard they work, and if they do it like you want.

Best of luck to you! I hope you find what you are looking for. :karate:

thanks for all that.I had pretty much ruled out wado because the school in my area seems to be geared more toward kids,which is excellent too.Also the pics I have seen of the chito class seem to be mostly middle aged.Is ther any reason for that or just a coincidence.

Hey There,

Welcome to KF!

The three styles are very similar. They are all part what is classed by WUKO (World Union of Karate Organisations) as the four traditional styles (the ohter one is Shotokan).

In the scheme of things, the difference between the styles is not going to be huge, but the way it is taught may be. Really, comes down more the the individual school than the style. Personally I would say I like Goju, but that's probably because I don't know a whole lot about the other styles.

Visit the instructors, and see which one appeals to you. Go from there.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.