• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Health Insurance

I dunno how it works in other countries but in the US it's very important to have health insurance. Which sucks for me cause I DONT HAVE IT. Was that even a consideration when you guys was making the decision to take MA? Broken bones would suck if you have to pay 1000s of $$$ with no insurance help... :o

Stand tall and shake the heavens.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno how it works in other countries but in the US it's very important to have health insurance. Which sucks for me cause I DONT HAVE IT. Was that even a consideration when you guys was making the decision to take MA? Broken bones would suck if you have to pay 1000s of $$$ with no insurance help... :o

We here in England have National Health (free) for any injuries etc, but we make up for it in other taxes

Yeah in the uk i think we pay very high taxes, but we do get national health so we don't pay anything for medical. I have always wondered about this for Americans on how they cope, espcially if they have children who need urgent medical attention. I'm glad that we have free health for my kids sake. Do you not have state funded hospitals?

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

*EDIT: I messed that up...

I meant the "yup" to mean that "yeah we don't have it."

Whoops.*

Also depends on what state you're in.

Edited by aigaios

Cho Dan Hapkidoist and trickster.

Do you not have state funded hospitals?

I'm no expert in the healthcare industry, but I don't believe so. There are state-funded clinics, or "Free clinics", that you can go to, but the care doesn't appear to be up to par. Once again, this is just my impression, I could be entirely off.

As far as having healthy insurance, unfortunately it's almost a neccessity here in the States, especially if you have others in your family who depend on it. For example, my wife has something akin to a pacemaker in her body to help control a degenerative genetic defect in her body. Well, the insurance companies consider this a "pre-existing condition" and she will almost always get turned down for health coverage directly. Those companies that will offer to give her a policy will charge out the wazoo--regardless of the fact she hasn't had any issues with this defect in almost six years.

This means that the only way she can get health care coverage is as a spouse through health insurance I'm offered through work. So basically, if I stop working, whether it be my choice or not, not only am I without insurance, but so is my wife and two kids. There have been numerous times I've debated leaving my job and pursuing MA as a full-time career, but unfortunately at this time I have other priorities first.

But back to the issue at hand--insurance was not an issue when I first started MA, as I was covered by my parents policy at the time (I was young when I started). Even after I finished college and moved out of my folks, I continued to carry insurance because of the simple fact it does cost a lot of money if you have to take a trip to the hospital.

For example, since leaving my parents policy and getting my own, I've had to have two knee surguries--one minor (a scoping to remove torn cartilidge) and one reconstructive. Well, let me just say the scoping alone cost me just over $500 with insurance. I hate to imagine what it would have been without.

My recommendation would be to get insurance if possible. If you're in good shape, don't smoke or excessively drink, and have no pre-existing conditions, you should be able to get just yourself covered for a resonable amount a month.

I guess i'll just start taking classes once i get everything in order. Then stop if i feel it's starting to get to dangerous and start up again once i figure out how to get insurance.

Stand tall and shake the heavens.

Wow that sounds harsh :-? So let me ask you something. What if you had a serious accident, or needed an op, if you don't have health insurance do you not get the treatment?

No, you still get treatment, you just have to pay it off. Usually, it is paid off over time that way. No one is ever refused treatment.