• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Visiting other dojangs

I've been fotunate in my Kuk Sool Won training to not only train at a couple of the best schools in America, but I've had the oportunity to visit other dojangs while traveling on buisness.

Even though KSW is very standardized, it's very interesting to see what differences still develop when a school is farther removed from the headquarters.

While this is probably more pertinant to KSW and other large organizations, I'm interested in hearing anyone's experiences in visting other dojangs on a temporary basis.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When seeing other schools at our testings at HQ, we notice that it seems that the other instructors don't focus on technique as much. I haven't been to a lot of other schools in our system, but I have been in other systems, and I would like to go back and work with them some, to see how things have come along.

I like to see different senseis that focus more on one thing than the other e.g in one class we focus a lot on kata another class a lot of focus on kumite and self defence and another class focusing on the basics

Ashley Aldworth

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

I don't go on my own visit other dojangs, but sometimes our dojo goes to other dojos like the shotokan dojo or some muay thai and kickboxing clubs for friendly diverse sparring.

A New Age Dawns

I don't go on my own visit other dojangs, but sometimes our dojo goes to other dojos like the shotokan dojo or some muay thai and kickboxing clubs for friendly diverse sparring.

That sounds like fun!

That does sound good.

I used to train at a dojang where some former students would come back from their JJ school and try out what they'd learned with some friendly sparring. I picked up some good experience from those.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

• 3 weeks later...

I train in traditional Tang Soo Do, my father started Tang Soo Do in 1959 at Osan under Gm Shin, Yi, Yu and Kim so the way we spar is full contact, traditional as they did in Korea when my father was there, therefore no other dojos in the immediate area will allow myself or anyone from our dojo to spar with them. It's kind of sad because of the Tae Kwon Do and Shotokan studios in my area i have had a bad impression put on me by these dojos. they seem more like daycares than martial arts studios. No disrespect to anyone in Tae Kwon Do or Shotokan this is just what i have see in my 17 years in the martial arts.

Mr. Charlie Clingan

1st Dan #25845

I train in traditional Tang Soo Do, my father started Tang Soo Do in 1959 at Osan under Gm Shin, Yi, Yu and Kim so the way we spar is full contact, traditional as they did in Korea when my father was there, therefore no other dojos in the immediate area will allow myself or anyone from our dojo to spar with them. It's kind of sad because of the Tae Kwon Do and Shotokan studios in my area i have had a bad impression put on me by these dojos. they seem more like daycares than martial arts studios. No disrespect to anyone in Tae Kwon Do or Shotokan this is just what i have see in my 17 years in the martial arts.

They should be willing to let you spar, if you can go in there and demonstrate that you have control of your techniques.