• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do we need to ask permission?

Ask sensei permission to train in other arts?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Ask sensei permission to train in other arts?

• yes
    • no

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I would ask for advice. Assuming the instructor is competent, they should have at least a surface understanding of other styles that the student may not. If the student can articulate what they hope to get out of crosstraining, the instructor may be better able to help them find an appropriate venue for the crosstraining. It would probably also help the instructor to know what the student is studying to aid tailoring to that student's interests.

If I were "forbidden" or strongly discouraged from crosstraining, I'd bail but that's just me.

• 3 weeks later...

I was actually encouraged by my capoeira teacher to take up some boxing, thaiboxing or brazilian jiujitsu to supplement my capoeira, but he also stressed that it wasn't necessary.

It depends very much on your instructor. If your instructor is the type that says "our style is the best, there is no reason to train in another style" don't ask. (I, for one, wouldn't train under such a close minded teacher)

If I told my Sensei I was thinking about cross training, he would probably say, "Cool. Can I come with you to a class? Maybe you can show my class some of the things you learn."

If I told my Sensei I was thinking about cross training, he would probably say, "Cool. Can I come with you to a class? Maybe you can show my class some of the things you learn."

In my opinion, there isn't enough of this going on in the martial arts today.

I, like many others on this thread, don't believe that we should apply to rules of the ancient times to now, but still should maintain the same amount of respect for our own dojo. When I went to go try out another dojo, the sensei there told me to ask my teacher. When I actually asked my teacher, he got a quizzical look on his face and asked "umm...sure. You don't have to ask me."

Destined To Bring Light

My current instructor does not allow cross-training because he feels it is distracting. Below black belt one can argue this but there is a place for cross-trainig and should not be forbidden. Each has his own journey.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/