• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do we need to ask permission?

Ask sensei permission to train in other arts?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Ask sensei permission to train in other arts?

• yes
    • no

Yeah it's like i know i what i'm trying to say but having trouble trying to word it :-? Respect is a huge thing and it takes a lot for someone to earn it, erm i have respect for my sensei and i look up to him but how far can you go with respect. Can someone who expects respect take the privalige to far? I dunno i know what i mean lol :lol:

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get it, and I think this depends upon what you are getting from your training. You're considering another artform because the one you are doing may not be offering all that you want or all you think you want. So exploring another method may help you to get "it". For example Judo while training Karate.

If your sensei asks that you not train in anything else then take their opinion seriously, but within context. They may be worried you will walk away from your Karate training.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

It really is a respect issue. If I was going to cross train, I would definitely do it with the consent from my instructor. He deserves my honesty because he has taken me this far in my training and I would feel like I was deceiving him if I just started taking classes in another style and another dojo.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

I think it depends. If you are paying your instructor to teach you martial arts then I do not believe that you should have to ask him permission to do anything that does not directly represent his school. However if you believe that it will hurt your instructors pride or that he will believe that it will hurt your training in his art to train in other styles you should ask him his oppinion.

If the instructor is volunteering his time you owe him the courtesy of asking him for permission. I believe that at the level of skill you are at there should be no good reason why you cannot cross train.

Victory or a reasonable alternative.

Hmmm yeah Cathal you have basically said what i was thinking, just couldnt think of how to word it. I had recently started a thread on having my sensei's name on my bb out of shear respect and honour, which is great because i think that if it wasn't for him i wouldn't be where i am.

And Brandon you are totally right there, 100% see where your coming from.

One who expects or demands respect does not deserve it, but one who commands respect does. Just my .02

I see respect in two ways; those who demand it, and those who earn it.

Yeah it's like i know i what i'm trying to say but having trouble trying to word it :-? Respect is a huge thing and it takes a lot for someone to earn it, erm i have respect for my sensei and i look up to him but how far can you go with respect. Can someone who expects respect take the privalige to far? I dunno i know what i mean lol :lol:

I am getting you here! :idea:

I am getting you here! :idea:

Yay goodie :)

One who expects or demands respect does not deserve it, but one who commands respect does. Just my .02

I see respect in two ways; those who demand it, and those who earn it.

Thats what I meant by commanding it. Commanding respect is earning it by your everyday actions. Helping others, being a good teacher, blah blah. etc etc. Demanding it is when certain people insist you respect them because of their rank, title, or whatever.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do