• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do we need to ask permission?

Ask sensei permission to train in other arts?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Ask sensei permission to train in other arts?

• yes
    • no

no no no. my sabumnin teaches us TKD and HKD. he would not let us train anywhere else. he is very traditional and only teaches korean arts (besides weapons). he believes that the korean customs and tradition would be lost if we trained in another art.

Unfortunately, this is the way I think many masters feel, and the excuse of upholding "tradition" leads to a narrow-mindedness that stagnates learning and growth.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no no no. my sabumnin teaches us TKD and HKD. he would not let us train anywhere else. he is very traditional and only teaches korean arts (besides weapons). he believes that the korean customs and tradition would be lost if we trained in another art.

Unfortunately, this is the way I think many masters feel, and the excuse of upholding "tradition" leads to a narrow-mindedness that stagnates learning and growth.

I feel the same. It's a shame that people still think that way. I mean, we should keep the traditions of our respective arts alive, but we shouldn't sacrifice the oportunity of learn other things.

About the thread. I think its more about asking advice and opinion than asking Permision, because my master don't own me, he's my teacher Yes, not my Lord. lol

Well i'm answering as a student and i do agree with many that have said you should out of respect.

Quick question, Kerry, just to clarify if I understand right: are you saying that you should ask your instructor out of respect, or just tell them what you are doing out of respect? :)

Not sure Brian :-? think just so they know what you are doing, although i think i would go to him with my tail between my legs asking him :D It's the principle side of things, at the end of the day sensei's are not our mothers or fathers so i think yes respect them but how much?

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

My answer to whether permission should be obtained is in the other poll I asked Patrick to lock down.

In regards to this:

Here is a question: How many of us who are answering this question are answering as students, or as instructors/masters?

I answer as a current student and as a former instructor.

I answer both as a student and as an instructor. In the past I've cross-trained before so why would it be alright for me and not those I instruct? Even my instructor has trained in other styles in the past.

When I was cross-training I was doing so in three very different styles: Kali, Silat, and BJJ. Each of these MA are primarily focused on one thing. Kali is weapons (mainly escrima and knife), Silat is striking, and BJJ is grapping. Now that's not to say that each of these styles only focused on what they excelled in, but it was their main focus. By cross training, it allowed me to take in the best parts of different systems and adapt them to not only my body but to other styles as well.

But the beauty of the thing is, that by cross training, I have realized that what is truely effective in MA can be found in all MA, regardless of the style--the moves might just be practiced differently or in a different position. Take the Naihanchi katas in Okinawa Karate--I've seen some quite effective BJJ applications taken from those katas and applied as if you're executing them against someone in your gaurd.

Even recently, one of my Ni-kyus has approached me expressing interest in getting into some ground work when he reaches his Shodan rank (in about a year or so) and asked if I had any ideas of what would be some good books to do some research on the matter. Rather than simply tell him, I lent him a few books out of my personal collection (granted I know him well enough to entrust him with them). And when he's done with those, I plan on showing him some of the BJJ basics so he has a good first hand experience of what he's getting into before he signs any contracts.

Instructor adn student. I know that it was not uncommong on Okinawa for people to train in other systems or other dojos of the same system but they did let their sensei know about it. It is better to be respectful and let the instructor know rather than hide it.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

I had answered as a student who occasionaly is asked to teach from time to time.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

In my dojo cross trainig is permitted and even encouraged. However last summer when I found out we would be closed for a longer than expected period i asked my sensei if could find a another Dojo for a month just to keep in shape. He said yes and even offered to help me find adequate dojo and make some phone calls. He is however very clear about traing in karate in another dojo without his knowledge mean expulsion...because it is dsisrespectful. However he has no problems with us training in other martial arts without his consent.

I agree with this aproach because and i quote

"Karate begins and ends with respect."(Master Anko Itos)

In regards to this:

Here is a question: How many of us who are answering this question are answering as students, or as instructors/masters?

I answer as a current student and as a former instructor.

I answer both as a student and as an instructor. In the past I've cross-trained before so why would it be alright for me and not those I instruct? Even my instructor has trained in other styles in the past.

You and I see eye to eye here, bearich.

When I was cross-training I was doing so in three very different styles: Kali, Silat, and BJJ. Each of these MA are primarily focused on one thing. Kali is weapons (mainly escrima and knife), Silat is striking, and BJJ is grapping. Now that's not to say that each of these styles only focused on what they excelled in, but it was their main focus. By cross training, it allowed me to take in the best parts of different systems and adapt them to not only my body but to other styles as well.

I think that this is one of the best things about cross-training. Also, you may get to be the one who helps out a master in another system with another aspect of his MA abilities. It is a wonderful way to network.

But the beauty of the thing is, that by cross training, I have realized that what is truely effective in MA can be found in all MA, regardless of the style--the moves might just be practiced differently or in a different position. Take the Naihanchi katas in Okinawa Karate--I've seen some quite effective BJJ applications taken from those katas and applied as if you're executing them against someone in your gaurd.

That is another one of the many benefits to cross-training. Why some want to keep these opportunities from others, I cannot understand.

Even recently, one of my Ni-kyus has approached me expressing interest in getting into some ground work when he reaches his Shodan rank (in about a year or so) and asked if I had any ideas of what would be some good books to do some research on the matter. Rather than simply tell him, I lent him a few books out of my personal collection (granted I know him well enough to entrust him with them). And when he's done with those, I plan on showing him some of the BJJ basics so he has a good first hand experience of what he's getting into before he signs any contracts.

That is awesome. I respect that a lot.

Not sure Brian :-? think just so they know what you are doing, although i think i would go to him with my tail between my legs asking him :D

Unfortunately, I think this how many feel it is going to be when they approach their instructors/masters, and it should not be that way at all.

It's the principle side of things, at the end of the day sensei's are not our mothers or fathers so i think yes respect them but how much?

This is a very good point, and a good question.