• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Practising different styles

Shotokan-kez

I wouldn't advise that you train in two styles of Karate. They are too similar and you get confused more than anything else. Go for a completely different style. Aikido and JuJitsu are good as they are completely different, but still a traditional Japanese art.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would need to speak to my sensei first before doing anything, because we need to ask his permission before training elsewhere as well as with him.

I personally do not agree with this at all. You shouldn't have to ask your sensei for permission to train elsewhere. You have a right to train with whomever you want whenever you want. You should inform him of your intention, but you shouldn't be required to have his blessing.

Just my two cents.

I would need to speak to my sensei first before doing anything, because we need to ask his permission before training elsewhere as well as with him.

I personally do not agree with this at all. You shouldn't have to ask your sensei for permission to train elsewhere. You have a right to train with whomever you want whenever you want. You should inform him of your intention, but you shouldn't be required to have his blessing.

Just my two cents.

I agree with you, bearich. I have had my say on this in the past; however, no all instructors see it this way. I would be interested in seeing a nationwide poll on the subject.

I wouldn't advise that you train in two styles of Karate. They are too similar and you get confused more than anything else.

I think this is what would be great about it...you can see what the differences are, and why they are done that way. It is great researching material, and it could make one into a more complete fighter.

I would love to be able to find a Tang Soo Do school to train at, and given half a chance, I would do it.

If you want to practice multiple styles of karate, at least pick styles that are relatively different from each other. Don't practice, for example, Matsubayashi shorin-ryu simultaneously with Kobayashi shorin-ryu. You're bound to confuse things.

I actually do something similar right now. Uechi-ryu with Goju-ryu. I don't have too much trouble keeping them separate (for now), although I do perform the wrong version of sanchin at the wrong place from time to time.

I suggest training in a grappling art along with your current karate style instead. That would be a more logical combination.

Hey people :) Just wanted your thought on this. Is training in different styles of karate worthwhile? I have always been interested in different syles of karate but never wanted to do anything other than shotokan so i don't get them confused. I know some are very similar like shukokai and shotokan. So i am thinking of looking around for Aikido clubs, but what do you guys think of training in different styles of karate?

Kez x :karate:

I've never trained seriously in Aikido, however, I do know an Aikido instructor, and have participated in some of his class's. I can tell you this from my limited exposure, Aikido, while from what I've seen is a great art in itself, you'd be surprised how much it opened your eye's to some bunkai in your own Karate kata's that you may have never known was there before.

I've stated before that I really didn't start seeing all the potential bunkai in my kata until I started practicing my Tuite in my later Kyu grades.

Aikido is not only a great self defense art, but from all I can tell would also open up your eyes to much knowledge about the human body and how it can/can't be manipulated.

Hi Kez. You helped me out so it's my turn ;)

Anyways, I wouldn't advice that a beginner cross train. But you don't need to worry about that. My advice would be, do two different styles. I agree with Jiffy. Two styles of karate would just confuse the heck out of you. Or it would with me.

I have always done a stand up art and cross trained in a grappling or ground fighting art. That way there's no mixing up techniques or getting confused.

You want to do Aikido. I think that would work well with Shotokan. I do Shotokan and jujitsu when I can. They work well together, also. So go for it. Try it out.

I also agree with bearich. I don't think you need to "ask" to cross train. Both my sensei in Shotokan and jujitsu know I do the other. They don't have a problem with it. Just do it. If you sensei finds out, see what his re-action is.

Laurie F

:lol: hehe yeah Laurie lets just do it and see what he says, can you imagine if i did an aikido or ju-jitsu move in class :o I'm still looking for a club to go watch but i also need to see about finances i'm a bit short at the moment.

Yes Brian a poll would be good on the subject on weather you should ask the sensei permission to train elsewhere...i'm not sure how to set one up though, never done one before :roll:...........hint hint :brow:

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

My sensei (wado-ryu) is currently training in aikido. He's shown me one or two of the things he's been learning. It looks interesting - completely different on one level, yet with some similar concepts on another. I wouldn't mind doing that, but I want to wait until I get my shodan in karate first because I think its better to persevere at one thing for a while and learn it well than to spread my attention too much.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

Yes Brian a poll would be good on the subject on weather you should ask the sensei permission to train elsewhere...i'm not sure how to set one up though, never done one before :roll:...........hint hint :brow:

I'll go ahead and set one up for you in the CrossTraining forum since that's what it will be about.