• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Practising different styles

Shotokan-kez

Hey people :) Just wanted your thought on this. Is training in different styles of karate worthwhile? I have always been interested in different syles of karate but never wanted to do anything other than shotokan so i don't get them confused. I know some are very similar like shukokai and shotokan. So i am thinking of looking around for Aikido clubs, but what do you guys think of training in different styles of karate?

Kez x :karate:

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cross training is always good, even if it's in the same style of karate. What one Shotokan dojo does might be different from another.

Back to the question at hand, when you train in other styles, it allows you to see slight differences in the way certain moves are executed. Obviously there will be different bunkai behind it so don't be afraid to ask why it is done the way it is (obviously ask tactfully) as opposed to the way your were originally shown in Shotokan.

The good thing about training in another form of karate is it will be easier for you to pick up on things than if you started a training in a whole new system altogether. However, the downside to that is that you'll really have to pay attention to what you're doing or else your old training will slip in and you won't even notice.

Personally i think it can be a good thing it can give you a good chance to experience other ideas from other MA and not get stuck in a rut.

One possiblity for you would be to find a Bodokan karate school as this is the style i study which actually has some Aikido mixed in with Shotokan which could be a good way for you to feel comfortable in a new style .

In my break from karate i studied TKD for a while and found two things. One i developed my kicks better which helped in returning to karate and two that although i have much respect for TKD, karate was more my style and so i was more than happy to go back with a better frame of mind and no what ifs about changing to another style .

Sometimes my sensi will show us something from an other MA and explain why this would or would not work, why we do it differently etc which i find intreseting and i think it also developes a good attitued to other styles of MA. I think far to may times some people get in to a 'my styles the best' frame of mind when really they all have something to offer.

what ever you decide good luck!!

Carolyn x

I like to be versed in different styles. Although I'm not really experienced enough, I could see cross training being better as you are getting more than just one narrow view. Not saying its a bad view mind you :P

Willing - Believing - Achieving

Orange Belt: Freestyle/Sport Karate - Kickboxing - Boxing

your style is a shuri te version, if you wanna practice karate pick up a pure Naha-te style like Goju-ryu or Uechi ryu. right now i practice shorin ryu with 3 sensei and i am not happy, i have 3 sets of each kata each of them are slightly diffrent.

I've always recommended it, but never to karateka that have just begun training. You wouldn't have to worry about that though.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I've always recommended it, but never to karateka that have just begun training. You wouldn't have to worry about that though.

Good point. Have a firm grasp on your system before branching out. Find an area your current art doesn't cover a lot of and find an art that covers that area so you know how to deal with that situation if it ever comes up.

It's one more tool in your toolbox and if you have a lot of tools in your toolbox, you probably won't be stuck trying to do your plumbing with a hammer.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

I agree with most of the replys here. Cross-training will always yield different points of view, and allow you to expand your knowledge.

I would need to speak to my sensei first before doing anything, because we need to ask his permission before training elsewhere as well as with him. I don't speak to him very much..he can be scary lol :lol: To be honest i'm still leaning towards Aikido but there doesnt seem to be many clubs in my area. I'm a bit weary of training in another style of karate, i'm experienced in shotokan just can't decide weather doing another style of karate would be worthwhile.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk