• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Question on a Shotokan Kata

The Karate Kid

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

which way is your way?, the way i know and train is that the beginning of gojushiho-dai starts with right leg zenkuts (front stance)and a right hand brateuke(Re-enforced double block) done very slow with kimae(tensing)

Half empty or half full?

which way is your way?, the way i know and train is that the beginning of gojushiho-dai starts with right leg zenkuts (front stance)and a right hand brateuke(Re-enforced double block) done very slow with kimae(tensing)

Actually, they both start that way. One has a single finger poke (Dai in JKA) and the other has spear hand (Sho in JKA). The rumor is that during a JKA competition one of the uppitty ups said he was going to perform Dai, but performed Sho instead. So instead of telling him he was wrong (since he won first) they switched the names!!! There is no documentation for this, but it is the most prevalent explanation for this conundrum. Of the Dai/Sho pairings, these two are the most similar, so once you've picked up one, you've picked up both essentially.

Actually, they both start that way. One has a single finger poke (Dai in JKA) and the other has spear hand (Sho in JKA). The rumor is that during a JKA competition one of the uppitty ups said he was going to perform Dai, but performed Sho instead. So instead of telling him he was wrong (since he won first) they switched the names!!! There is no documentation for this, but it is the most prevalent explanation for this conundrum. Of the Dai/Sho pairings, these two are the most similar, so once you've picked up one, you've picked up both essentially.

I believe that there is a Gojushiho Sho (lesser version) and a Gojushiho Dai (Major version). They are two different kata. The one master making the mistake by calling oout one kata and doing the other I hear is indeed true.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt