How did you find your MA school?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. How did you find your MA school?

• Yellow Pages
    • Personal Recommendation
    • Internet (non KarateForums.com)
    • KarateForums.com
    • Other (Post Below)

We may have already had a thread like this, but I just thought it'd be interesting to ask how you found the MA school/dojo/whatever you are currently attending?

Thanks.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found my through a flyer at the rec center I was attending. I was performing additional rehab workout on my knee in the weight room after some reconstructive surgury (as the wonderful insurance company only covered so many visits to the office where I did my "offical" physical therapy). The school was being run in the rec center and was actually starting that day. Seeing that it was a style of Okinawa Karate called Matsubayashi-Ryu. Having done Shito-ryu back in the late 80's early 90's, I figured it had to have some similarities. Intrigued I read more.

What really hooked me into attending was that the instructor had experience in additional styles of martial arts; kali, silat, and praying mantis kung-fu. Seeing how I had previous experience in kali and silat (heck it was a silat injury that cause me to blow out my knee I was rehabbing), I decided to stop by that night, speak with the instructor, and see what the class was all about. Since then, I have never considered leaving.

I had known about it since I was in highschool when it opened. When I was finally looking into attending an MA school, it was a convient location and had built up a good reputation as a school. Nothing exciting really.

I play a wrestling game online. If you'd like to play follow this link

http://www.thewrestlinggame.com/wg.asp?w= 133896

I basically drove around and looked for all the dojos I could find. A friend told me that one of them had a good and reputable instructor, but I checked out all of them anyway. Turns out he was right. Also turned out that the best instructor was the cheapest. Kinda funny that way.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

I drove past it every day. But I thought it was Tae Kwon Do, and I didn't really want that. I was looking for Hapkido, but couldn't find one nearby.

They were offering a really good intro deal, so I figured I'd start getting my cardio up and work on my flexibility until I found what I wanted. After a couple classes I realized it was exactly what I wanted. :lol: :lol:

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

A friend of mine got me to join up at the school I started at, years ago, and have been in the arts ever since.

I guess I found my current school by seeing classes being taught at the college. I had been to the school before, but I got to talk to the instructor this go around, and joined.

My first dojang (TSD), I found by pounding the pavement. I looked around at a few schools, and found that one. I really liked it, so I joined.

The second one (TKD) I found on the internet. I was still living in NJ, and knowing that I was about to move to this area (NY), I looked on the internet.

I found the Judo dojo that I was at for a few months at a YMCA. The program itself didn't last long :(

My current one (Shotokan), I found when I was looking for the second one. But my better half said it was too far. So I joined the other with him. But I did check out this dojo anyway. A few years later, here I am. It is a drive to get there, but totally worth it.

And for Jujitsu, I found through KF basically. I met a dear friend on here, and found out her hubby taught it in the past. So we asked if he could teach us.

Laurie F