• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

twist kick advice

Can anyone suggest anything to improve my twist kick? I can't get the angle of my foot right, it just will not go more than a few degrees off of vertical, and consequently looks like a rather skewed front kick....

I have this kick in my current form, so have to improve it, really. It appears to have got worse rather than better as I have gone up the ranks.

I don't usually have any problems with flexibility, either....

Little help, anyone?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Can anyone suggest anything to improve my twist kick? I can't get the angle of my foot right, it just will not go more than a few degrees off of vertical, and consequently looks like a rather skewed front kick....

I have this kick in my current form, so have to improve it, really. It appears to have got worse rather than better as I have gone up the ranks.

I don't usually have any problems with flexibility, either....

Little help, anyone?

Which form are you doing with Peet chagi?

Practice at low angles to get the range of motion, then raise the kick slowly...

Lay on the ground, grab your kicking foot, and pull it out to the side of your body, pulling the toes back to touch the ball of the foot to the floor. This should help you in getting your foot into position. Hold the stretch for about 30 seconds, and then do the other foot.

You aren't doing Gae Baek, are you?

I've never heard of 'Gae Baek'. I have heard of a 'Tae Baek' though... Anyway, what does a twist kick look like? Are there any alternate names for it? I've never heard of that either.

Keep posting,

"The Leaf, Still Green, Must Someday Fall,

Such Grief, Such Joy, to Live at All."

--T.A. Barron

Someone does/has done the same style as me.... :wink: Cheers bushido man!

A twist kick is where you turn your foot out and kick with the ball of the foot. The idea being that you get your foot as horizontal as possible (the difficult bit) or else it looks like a really weird front kick. Does that make sense? Hopefully!

I've never heard of 'Gae Baek'. I have heard of a 'Tae Baek' though... Anyway, what does a twist kick look like? Are there any alternate names for it? I've never heard of that either.

Keep posting,

I practice the Chang 'on forms system (ITF style). Gae Baek is my 2nd dan form.

The twist kick may also be called and inverted round kick.

Alright, now I know what you're talking about. I've always had trouble with that kick, and the only thing that has seemed to help has been relaxing my foot. Other than that, it's a bit akward.

Alright, now I know what you're talking about. I've always had trouble with that kick, and the only thing that has seemed to help has been relaxing my foot. Other than that, it's a bit akward.

You could try doing the kick with the instep, which helps with the rotation of foot. I do it this way in sparring at times.

Keep posting,

I practice the Chang 'on forms system (ITF style). Gae Baek is my 2nd dan form.

Does Gae Baek have a twist kick in it???????? Just curious as I presumed Tae Baek was the same form and it does not....unless I am really missing something!!!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/