Shotokan-kez

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No he's not Japanese, but i'm not sure what you mean?
Maybe I've misunderstood, but I thought you were suggesting writing your instructor's name in japanese letters on your belt. I was pointing out that English words/names don't transliterate into the Japanese alphabet and there are rarely Japanese "equivalents" of English names. So what you would be writing on your belt would be a meaningless string of characters that just happen to be the closest sounding to your instructor's name.

Yes i am with you now, but that really surprises me because almost every student who has a black belt in our club has their name on it in japanese
That must really confuse any passing Japanese people :D

As a "Steve", I think the closest to my name would be something like "su-te-ba-n", which really isn't all that close - and I dread to think what it translates as :lol:

Yes i am with you now, but that really surprises me because almost every student who has a black belt in our club has their name on it in japanese

that's true and sometimes it has a funny meaning in Japanies or Chinese.

I have had all my translations done by professionals and had many japanese people read it and comment how accurate it is. All except from one company and I don't deal with them any longer. Now all my embroidery work is done in Okinawa. My name for example translates as Bu Ra Don or something to that effect.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

Brian why not go get your 3rd dan with Brandon lol.

Yeah i agree with your statement Brandon...about being humble to be able training.

Lol, I would have to start over in another style again!!

Our GM has gotten uniforms for us that have our names in Korean on the lapel. He writes them himself, and then has them put on. I think he provides the company with the writing.