• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Embroidered black belts

Shotokan-kez

Hey guys, just a quick question! What do you have, if anything embroided on your black belts, and is it satin or silk? I have already been considering what to have on mine when i grade in six months. I was going to have my name in english on one end, and maybe my sensei's name in chinese on the other. I wanted to ask you guys what you think of that, do you think it would be a bit silly and cheesy to have my sensei's name on it? And also i would be wondering what he would think of that :-?

I only thought of that out of respect for him. My black belt is going to cost me a lot of money and it's going to be very precious and important to me. Basically it'll be all down to him, teaching me, and helping me achieve my goals in karate. I dunno what do you think?

Kez x :karate:

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

me achieve my goals in karate.

yes definately use japanese due to ure style :P

as for what to put... i would not really add anything to it other than your name and maybe club name. If you do too much it will seem cheap, like something you bought rather than earned...

just my two cents

Brown belt... win trophies... grade... lose trophies... so much fun

We are only allowed to emboider our belts when we reach nidan and we can't choose what we want on it. It's pretty much your name on 1 side and name of the style on the other. You can do it in English or kanji - most do it in kanji.

If you can choose what you want - why not talk to your sensei about it. Personally I would go for style rather than your sensei's name. Obviously our instructors are hugely important to us as students and you naturally want to credit him with what you've achieved. However if you talk to him or the other higher ranked instructors - the style is always more important than the individual. When we line up our first bow is always to our style, followed by the instructors. Just a thought.

In my dojo, they do both your name and the style in kanji. Once you get your BB, you are stuck with it. No stripes (eventhough you test for a higher rank). And we wear plain white uniforms for both color belts and BB's. I love that.

Laurie F

That is a cool gesture, Kez. I would do Japanese instead of Chinese, and i would sit down and talk to your instructor about it as well. He may have some good ideas you might like as well.

My belt has my name on one side, and in Korean, and the association name in English and Korean on the other side, plus two dan stripes on each side.

If you feel his name should be on it...then so be it. Afterall, he is the person who has most directly influenced your way.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Most of the guys in the association im over,Get their belt done in english or Japanese Kanji,one side style/ the other The Karate Ka in questions Name,or they just put their Dan stripe on the tips. but thats just what they do, its really up to though,but if I were you I'd have a heart to heart with the ol'Sensei and see what he suggests- because if you want to honor him. the only way you'll know is if you ask.