• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ladies of the MA

The martial arts women are certainly a unique category. We train, we fight, we take the bruises, bumps and contusions, and we do it as well as the men. We've all trained with the guys. So, now I've gotten curious on a few counts. As women, do you ever feel that it's forgotten that you're female in your school? Are the ladies ever treated differently than the men? Do we get respect for how much we can be like the guys, or do we get respect for being actual females?

For kicks: Guys, do you ever perceive us ladies as being treated any differently than the lot of you? Do you ever feel the need to treat us differently because we're female?

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a girl, I would have to say that at my school the fact that I am female (and also much younger) is probably never forgotten. I don't think I get treated differently, or if I do it is only for practical reasons. I get respected, probably in part because I can keep up with the rest of the group.

mmmm intresting well for me im in the lucky situation that half the class are women and it seems to even things out and as a result we all seem to be treated the same.

We do have the odd moments were a punch my hit a sensitive area (if you get my meaning) and get the slightly embarresed "Sorry" off the guy (makes me laugh - bless 'em) but apart from that its pretty even-stevens.

I hate to think that some one would let me get away with something just cause i am a girl - i think that would really rattle my cage, purely for the reason that in the real world an attacker certainly wouldnt !!

Carolyn x

Well Carolyn all you ladies should come and train at my club because i am the only one! :o There are girls but they are all under the age of 10 so i am the only grown up lady!. Sometimes i feel a bit lonely on that note, although i get along well with the men and i don't get any kind of special treatment. I was really happy to see that on a wednesday night the instructor's wife has started to come along, it really pleased me because now i have someone i can feel comfortable to partner up with, just in case i do get any 'hits or bumps' in those sensative area's.

I once heard my sensei say to one of the other instructors, "we need to get more ladies in, and we need to keep the young girls coming".

Women are just as good at MA as men, so i think there should be more encouragement for women to train.

Kez :karate:

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

I'll probably have the dogs called out on me, but I tend to spar with women differently than I do with men. I don't punch them in the body near as much, and I tend to take some of the mustard off of the techniques.

However, as far as treating them differently than men, as far as getting on them for technique, and things like that, I treat them just the same.

When I'm sparring with a woman I don't treat them any differently than any one else. There's a couple of them in my class that can really work me if they want to. This isn't to say if someone isn't as up to speed that I won't go a little lighter, but I'd do that with kids, guys or girls anyway.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Well Carolyn all you ladies should come and train at my club because i am the only one! :o There are girls but they are all under the age of 10 so i am the only grown up lady!.

Hey me too. What's with Shotokan and no ladies!?!?!?! Seriously though, it doesn't bother me a bit. I've had only a few classes in Shotokan so far, but it looks like that they won't treat me any different because I'm female. At least, I hope they don't. So far they haven't. Specially the other night with blocking/conditioning drills. I had a few bruises, but loved it. There's also guys my age that I can "mix it up with" in sparring, so that will be fun.

Laurie F

I don't treat female martial artists any differently when stand up sparring, but I can't help using a different strategy when rolling and grappling against them. :roll:

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.