• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi guys. In december my son Ryan is entering a kids competition within the club. He is entering the fighting. Yay go Ryan :D .This is going to be his first competition so i'm really rooting for him. During class sensei has been putting the kids through their paces in sparring to get them ready for the comp. Ryan shows some really good accurate moves and techniques, but unfortunatly he isn't making the touch so not scoring the point...hence he loses his fight.

So can anybody help me devise some good training regimes for him, he needs to get his distance and make that touch. Bearing in mind he is only 9, but i would just worry for him if he had to go up against a brown belt. How can i get him to increase his speed and accuracy? What methods and preparations would you advise to get him ready and prepared.

Cheers guys.

Kez :karate:

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Use handpads. Have him start on a line, then when you hold up the handpad he has to go after it with a cirtain technique. As soon as you see him moving (or a split second after then work at it till you can move sooner) then drop the handpad. He has to hit the handpad before it gets dropped. We do this with our students and they love it.

Another thing we do is pair up two students, as soon as i say go, they have 3 seconds to hit eachother with any point fighting technique (they are wearing sparring gear). If they don't make contact with a point fighting technique within three quick seconds, they have to do pushups. Sometimes neither student will hit the other, so both students will do pushups. Usually after about 3 rounds of both students doing pushups, they start to make contact before the 3 seconds is up.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

Use some verbal cues to help increase his speed. Hold out a pad for a backfist or punch, and have him wait in fighting stance. When you kiai, he goes, and has to go fast. Mix up the rythm, so he doesn't start to time your kiais.

Also, try flashing the pads, and flash them at different heights and angles for different techniques. Hold a target pad at your side. Flash it high and sideways, and he has to do a backfist. Hold stomach level and facing him, and he does a reverse punch. The key is to flash the pad, hold it for a couple of seconds, and then pull it back. If he misses, then he knows that he needs to pick up the pace a little.

One more thing you could do is pick out a 3 move combination, like backfist, rev. punch, roundkick with back leg. He should do each technique at a different level, like hi, then mid, then high with the kick. The idea is that the varying levels cause openings in the opponent's defense. Also, it gives him a combination that is his own, that he can get down, and do without thought.

I wish him the best of luck, Kez! Most important, tell him to have fun! :karate:

There are some brilliant tips here i will defo follow them up, hehe i like the push-ups idea, mean but good lol.

Thanks Bushido i dio have some focus pads and we have the sparring gear so i'll defo do that. Funny i think i'm more nervous than him lol. He has a lot on in the coming month, he has a grading this friday for his purple belt, then this comp in december. Mind you he's off on a carrabean cruise after that...lucky thing!

• 2 weeks later...

Ryan had his comp today and he did really well. He got knocked out on the kata on the first round, but he tried his very best. :) The kumite he got through the first round and fought for 3rd place, unfortunatly the judges put him up against a rather large kid and ryan lost. But on the whole he did well and got a certificate for taking part...so well done ryan and roll on next year! :D

Glad to hear that, Kez! Give him a pat on the back from me!

Probably the most important thing he learned from this competition was the experience of being there, and next time he will be more comfortable, knowing what to expect.

:D Thanks Brian. Yes i know what you mean, all of a sudden he has become more confident and determined..just like that. Yet do you remember the thread i mad some time ago about him struggling so much, he has come a long way. :)

:D Thanks Brian. Yes i know what you mean, all of a sudden he has become more confident and determined..just like that. Yet do you remember the thread i mad some time ago about him struggling so much, he has come a long way. :)

As an instuctor, and as an MA/parent, like yourself, these are the wonderful things that you get to experience throughout the student's training time. It is wonderful to see.