• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Proper Side-kick form?

Hart

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

the most important thing when throwing a side kick is the hip position. it should almost feel like you're stomping behind yourself (but your body position and targeting compensate for that). this will mean your back foot will most likely rotate a little less than 180 degrees when done correctly.

For a snap sidekick, the foot will rotate even less as you're not using your hips quite so much.

Hate to tell you that there's no Exact angle. It all depends on how your femur is sitting in your hip socket. Daizyblackbelt gave some good advice.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I do the close to full 180 degree pivot. I have found that if you don't pivot the base foot, you can cause some damage to the knee.

If I were to do a snapping side kick, I would still pivot the foot.

ps1 is correct I have never heard a exact position either. When I do yoko geri kekomi (side thrust kick) my base foot pivots so that my tows are pointing where my opposite shoulder is pointing. My Yoko Geri Keage (side snap kick) my foot turns my little and its thrown with a different hip position to allow the snapping action.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

Yeah i agree with both ps1 and Brandon. I have never been told by my sensei that the foot should be turned at a pecific angle. Turned yes and i do tend to turn it quite a lot but i am rubbish at maths and angles so i won't be able to tell you how much. lol

The snap kick i barelt turn my supporting foot at all, but always have my supporting leg bent slightly, this enables me to get my snap kick higher and more flexible.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

Our Sensei is very very hot on foot positioning for all kicks, roundhouse and side and he says your toes should always point the opposite way. Something about more power and hip rotation. I have to admit the extra power is very noticeable however you do feel over commited.

Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.

Our Sensei is very very hot on foot positioning for all kicks, roundhouse and side and he says your toes should always point the opposite way. Something about more power and hip rotation. I have to admit the extra power is very noticeable however you do feel over commited.

If you stop the pivot half-way between 90 and 180, you will not notice the over-commitiment quite so much. Just something to keep in mind for sparring.

hmm, i guess i shall just have to rephrase what i already said...

it all depends on what situation you are in. If you are sparring like bushido pointed out, you do not want to turn too much as it wil impede a quick recovery. If you are just going for the form do the kick a couple of times, turning your feet at different angles each time, find the one with the most height, power, and comfort, and you will know which is best for you. I myself go for between 160-170

Brown belt... win trophies... grade... lose trophies... so much fun