• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

special treatment for black belts

brokenswordx

do black belts get special treatment?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. do black belts get special treatment?

• yes
    • no

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brokenswordx - Does the fact that the black belts train for free bug you as well?

At our dojo black belts who regularly assist in the dojo get significantly reduced fees but remember that they are usually putting in a lot more time in the dojo than you are. They may not do every pushup that you are doing but teaching is a lot harder than just concetrating on your own training - and as i said - they have spent many more years than you have sweating on the floor already.

Do you respect the black belts at your dojo? do you aspire to be like them one day? Or do you just resent the fact that they are not out there doing every minute of training with you and that they train for free?

Always respect the black belts! I slacked off once a few years ago...never made that mistake ever again.

"Sword-Chucks yo."

Yes, thanks a lot guys.  Hey, kamasandsais, that was something that you knew that I did not!! 
<---blackmail hahahahhaha bushido

A lot of people have hit it right on. The black belts at my school, at least, are pretty much always teaching, along with some of the upper ranking adults. A lot of the assistant instructors are there before everyone else for the kid's class, and they leave after everyone else in the adult's class. They come early to train, warm up, and keep the kiddies in line, and they leave late so they can clean dojo and discuss the class amongst themselves.

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

At our dojo black belts who regularly assist in the dojo get significantly reduced fees but remember that they are usually putting in a lot more time in the dojo than you are.

I get my fees reduced some as well, but up until 3 weeks ago, I was teaching one class a week as well, and I can teach any of the classes that he has. I fill in whenever he needs someone to teach as well.

I know that our black belts get free lessons...or at least some of them do. I have seen some of them pay and others not pay...so i'm not sure whats going on there? But i do think it's ok that they get it for free if they are putting so much work into the dojo, as well as trying to train themselves.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

Our black belts are expected to work harder than any of the kyu grades. There may be times when they are asked to assist in a lesson (only those that have expressed a wish in learning how to teach - we don't take advantage of our black belts), but then they are working hard teaching and learning how to teach. Black belts should be the group that every kyu grade can look up to and try to emulate. If I found any of our black belts goofing off there would be trouble!!

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

Brokenswordx - Does the fact that the black belts train for free bug you as well?

Do you respect the black belts at your dojo? do you aspire to be like them one day? Or do you just resent the fact that they are not out there doing every minute of training with you and that they train for free?

i do respect the black belts, but as far as aspiring to be like them...no. the fact that they train for free doesn't bother since when i become 1 i won't have to pay either. i probably should have stated earlier that the 2 black belts that train with us are in their late teens (most of the people that go there are around that age or younger.) lol that fact that just about everyone thinks that i'm a "black belt hater" isn't true, the topic was just a thought a had....

<3

You're lucky, our black belts have to do each warm up & cool down for every class.

Well actually that's not every class and usually only the head instructor is the one who does it; but the Black Belts are definitely pushed and expected to perform better than everyone else so its not really that much of a difference from everyone else.