• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

special treatment for black belts

brokenswordx

do black belts get special treatment?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. do black belts get special treatment?

• yes
    • no

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anything, our black belts are held at a higher standard than everyone else. There is always a reputation to uphold, and respect for the belt begins with the one who wears it.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

On the contrary, I try to work harder than anyone else in the class. By the end of the class, I am completely spent. I also do my best to help out every one that I can during the class time.

Its not a matter of "special treatment". What black belts should be doing is teaching/correcting mistakes in technique, or passing on lesson's they've learned. Of course there are times when you're going to have several black belts attending your class's, and there may be too many of them present to all be walking around mingling through the class giving instruction.

I don't know your school, but don't you think those black belts got to where they are by taking the same path you are? Do you think that because you apparently work harder during the class that your paying for, that your somehow being cheated out of something? If you don't respect the black belts that are there to train you, simply because you don't see them "doing exercise's with you", well I suspect you have a lot to learn about the teacher/student relationship. When you get your black belt your going to learn that its pretty tough to instruct or correct the students if you can't watch them because your just there to get a work out yourself.

Well said!

In my dojo black belts teach. if not teaching we can take the class and help when needed. None of the black belts just show up and Don't do anything. We may not be doing the class, But we are working on something.

Raphael

I agree that black belts do have much more respect, as they do in our club, i look up to and respect them all!

There is a line though that shouldn't be crossed and black belts take advantage of their grade by 'slacking' off and doing nothing during a class. Mainly because i think this isn't showing much of a very good example to the lower grades. I think this is what the original post was refering to, and this is what i agree with.

:karate:

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

I see what you are saying, Kez. I have seen this with some of the better athletes in my school, but not necessarily black belts. The good athletes take for granted that they are good, and don't work their stances as deep, or don't punch in basics as hard, but are all good when sparring comes around. If I am not dead tired by the time sparring comes along in class, then I did something very wrong.

Our black belts teach, demonstrate and watch during regular classes. But they have their own black belt classes later, when they have to work hard!

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

In my class some of the black belts who are considerd to be assistant instructors will sometimes get to skip the warmup exercises; but thats because they are there for the entire night a good three to four hours so by the time the last class comes around theyve already done this two or three times already so It can be tiring.

hope this helps.

You're lucky, our black belts have to do each warm up & cool down for every class.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

It certainly varies from class to class but at our dojo it is expected that black belts are involved in teaching. The black belts who are regular assistant instructors are usually there for kids class before the adults even start and are then there till well after the end of adults helping the Instructor tidy up the equipment / dojo etc. For some classes that don't involve too much one on one instruction we join in with evryone else. With other classes working katas or doing more complex stuff we are expected to walk around and help people out. During any given class we are expected to keep any eye out on other students and if we see something to stop what we're doing and help them out. We're certainly not slacking off - it is often a requirement of the rank. And as a result we are required and expected to do a lot more training outside of regular class times and have our own classes for more advanced ranks.

And remember, we all did the same exercises and lost as much sweat along the way as you have. "We only ask of you, what those before you have already done"