• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

special treatment for black belts

brokenswordx

do black belts get special treatment?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. do black belts get special treatment?

• yes
    • no

i was wondering if black belts get some kind of speical treatment because at my dojo most of the time they're standing around talking or instructing class instead of actually doing the exercises with us. in my opinion the mid-ranks (brown belts) work more than the black belt. does being a black belt mean you don't have to do what the rest of the class is doing, that you can goof off and still expect people to listen and respect you when you're not training in the dojo?

<3

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Osu,

In the dojo where i'm training, the black belts is doing the exercises just as well as the rest of us, so no special treatment for them except that they are supposed do it better than the rest of us.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.

Its not a matter of "special treatment". What black belts should be doing is teaching/correcting mistakes in technique, or passing on lesson's they've learned. Of course there are times when you're going to have several black belts attending your class's, and there may be too many of them present to all be walking around mingling through the class giving instruction.

I don't know your school, but don't you think those black belts got to where they are by taking the same path you are? Do you think that because you apparently work harder during the class that your paying for, that your somehow being cheated out of something? If you don't respect the black belts that are there to train you, simply because you don't see them "doing exercise's with you", well I suspect you have a lot to learn about the teacher/student relationship. When you get your black belt your going to learn that its pretty tough to instruct or correct the students if you can't watch them because your just there to get a work out yourself.

Keep in mind that most black belts are paying the same amount in school tuition that you pay, and often times their own training is limited because their class time is usually spent ensuring that your learning correctly. That just means that after you leave the school they either have black belt class's later on, or they have to get together on their own time to train for themselves.

Now I'm not sure if this is the case at your school, but it is at many others.

Rick_72 nailed it--when students reach the level of black belt they are expected to teach lower ranks. Obviously this is done during normal class time. This often takes away from their training time, which they have to suppliment elsewhere.

Remember, just because you don't see someone busting their butt in the dojo, doesn't mean they're not doing it else where (that goes for all belts, not just black).

Sorry to join the band wagon, but our black belts don't slack off and do everything with the rest of us. They get less room for mistakes as they are expected to know everything. Like everyone else has said they also join in teaching the classes although are not expected to, at our dojo.

Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.

If by special treatment you mean expectation of top performance, harder training, and more responsibility in teaching younger students, then yes, I think that blackbelts get special treatment. :D

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

In my class some of the black belts who are considerd to be assistant instructors will sometimes get to skip the warmup exercises; but thats because they are there for the entire night a good three to four hours so by the time the last class comes around theyve already done this two or three times already so It can be tiring.

hope this helps.

Our black belts do exactly as everyone else, but just like everyone else says, they are expected to show a good example and are sometimes required to teach. If a bunch of black belts were chattering amongst themselves while the lesson was going on then that wouldn't be allowed.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk