• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparring Again

Orion

Well after about 2 weeks since I did my last sparring session we did it again. I absolutely love it, although I do have a slight problem, as i'm so big people don't want to spar with me and they hold back. When I go against the 2 senior black belts in the group I get a proper sparring session even though I know they will beat me they are also teaching me things, like the best places to attack and guard etc. However our class is small about 8-9 of us, and when we swap round I can feel people backing off and leaving themselves open. Since im the lowest grade I cant tell them to block higher and I try and encourage them but it doesn't seem to work, does any one have any hints?

I also find it difficult to spar against the ladies in the class. This isn't a women aren't as strong debate its just I have been brought up to never hit a woman so been taught that for 23 years and then suddenly been told to kick them is hard to deal with, even harder when your girlfriend is in the same class. I got a cheeky backfist in and caught her in the face and felt really bad. Sorry about babbling on, I was just hoping for some input from you guys and gals.

Regards

Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have a similar problem, not exactly the same as yours but the fact that we have mixed classes and they are mostly kids!

Don't worry to much and don't worry if you make a 'touch' on someone while sparring, if your using control and only make the touch then you won't hurt them.

Some people may disagree with me but i'm one of these people that says if the person your sparring with isn't using the right spirit, motivation, control ect then it;s their problem if they get hit. Don't worry about sparring with the ladies, i'm sure they wouldn't be there if they didnt know they could get hit/hurt from time to time. You really shouldn't have to encourage higher grades to spar better...thats up to them. At least you get a good session from the black belts. When you spar with the others, give it your all and do what you normally would, don't worry!

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

Kez has good advise. I would add that if you can make sure that they can trust that you have good control, they may be more willing to open up on you. If they don't trust your control, yet, they won't step it up, for fear of you returning a hard shot because you are trying really hard.

It will come in time. Just work really hard on your control, and see where that gets you. Best of luck to you!

Well after about 2 weeks since I did my last sparring session we did it again. I absolutely love it, although I do have a slight problem, as i'm so big people don't want to spar with me and they hold back. When I go against the 2 senior black belts in the group I get a proper sparring session even though I know they will beat me they are also teaching me things, like the best places to attack and guard etc. However our class is small about 8-9 of us, and when we swap round I can feel people backing off and leaving themselves open. Since im the lowest grade I cant tell them to block higher and I try and encourage them but it doesn't seem to work, does any one have any hints?

You can only control what you do. If other's back off, that only demonstrates they are giving into their fears rather than confronting them. Try to make sure you spar the black belts as often as possible. Ask them not to go too easy on you.

I also find it difficult to spar against the ladies in the class. This isn't a women aren't as strong debate its just I have been brought up to never hit a woman so been taught that for 23 years and then suddenly been told to kick them is hard to deal with, even harder when your girlfriend is in the same class. I got a cheeky backfist in and caught her in the face and felt really bad. Sorry about babbling on, I was just hoping for some input from you guys and gals.

Get over it! Learning Karate is about learning new habits. Striking someone (within the given rules) during a sparring session is expected. When you bow to each other you are agreeing to this in advance. Plus, holding back on her will not help her when (God forbid) she actually has to use her skill in a real situation. By holding back you cheat yourself and her. Cheating can never have positive results.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Get over it! Learning Karate is about learning new habits. Striking someone (within the given rules) during a sparring session is expected. When you bow to each other you are agreeing to this in advance. Plus, holding back on her will not help her when (God forbid) she actually has to use her skill in a real situation. By holding back you cheat yourself and her. Cheating can never have positive results.

This a very good point. It is the same way with learning bunkai or doing self-defense applications, and moving with them, or saying "ok, you got it," when it is not working in actuality. Don't worry about what the others think about you so much. Remember, you are there for you, not them!

I personally enjoy training with lower ranking belts, particularly if they have less control and are bigger, stronger, or faster than me. It breaks my rhythm and makes me respond more effectively to all styles of attacks. If I get whacked in the face by a greenbelt who lacks control, then I should have blocked or evaded better in the first place.

Just my 2 cents.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Would it help if the lady you were fighting gave you a good shot in the face? lol. Luckily in my dojo, the guys don't go easy on me because I'm a girl. Acutally, they seem to stay away from fighting me :-? :D

External training without the training of the mind is nothing

:D Sohan thats what i was trying to say in my post but i didnt want to sound to harsh. The part you wrote about getting hit by a lower a grade, it's your own problem for not blocking it right. I was having this discussion with my sensei, saying that i find it difficult to spar with someone of a lower grade who uses no control or real technique, and he basically said hit them back....in the long run that would make them think and maybe improve. Obviously i don't mean hiting them hard but making the touch, you can use a certain amount of force with your mitts on.

I also agree with the part where you said it's good because you get different variations and it keeps you on your toes, and of course keeps you learning at the same time and gives you a good workout :D

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

Very good points, Kez and Sohan. Sparring high ranks all to often gets you used to seeing the good technique, or what we may view as "proper" technique. Sparring lower ranks, we will see more unorthadox, or what we would consider "improper" technique. Well, on the street, we won't always get to block the "perfect" technique. Likely, everything will be rushed and messy. So, it is important to spar with low and high ranks for these very reasons.