• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

martial arts scary in some peoples eyes?

does martial arts seem to scare some people?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. does martial arts seem to scare some people?

• yes
    • no

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely think it can; most people who aren't trained in martial arts can confuse our focus and spirit for aggression.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I think starting it is definatly scary to some people, I know I was nervous cause I thought I was going to get beat up for a while and sparring with high ranks scared the bejeezus outta me but its like swimming for the first time, it make look cold but jump in and your bound to have fun!

There is no teacher but the enemy.

I read an article once in a magazine i subscribe to called traditional karate. The article was talking about taking up karate. At the top it said

All students must be prepared for injury, weather it be minor or serious, and maybe sometimes death.

I was horrified when i read this! No wonder some people may be scared of taking on an MA.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

I read an article once in a magazine i subscribe to called traditional karate. The article was talking about taking up karate. At the top it said

All students must be prepared for injury, weather it be minor or serious, and maybe sometimes death.

I was horrified when i read this! No wonder some people may be scared of taking on an MA.

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to do, because that is the case with many physical activities that are done today. Why try to scare people off by making that the first thing they read?

Whats seiyichen kata? Can you put a link up so i can see how scary it is?

Its a kata that originated from the Goju system and was latter incorporated into the shito-ryu system. It is a power demonstration kata that puts more emphasis in Kiya and Ibuki breathing rather than tequnique. So its relatively easy to learn; but requres a great deal of energy projection on the practitioners part.

I dont have a video of myself or anyone I know performing it; but Ill post one when I find it.

EDIT: found one. The way my system does it is much differen't of corse; but the basic jist is the same.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2240416169660848843&q=seienchin&hl=en

No kidding! Personally that would get me interested - I guess I'm just freakish that way lol, but that would scare a lot of people off.

External training without the training of the mind is nothing