• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

martial arts scary in some peoples eyes?

does martial arts seem to scare some people?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. does martial arts seem to scare some people?

• yes
    • no

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are a lot of different issues here, as there are a lot of different styles. I know very few people who are scared of karate and kung fu, however, I do know people who have some sort of respect for it. You gotta remember that people's perceptions are based on what they see in the media.

When people find out I do muay thai and grappling, they are like "wow, you're an ultimate fighter?? that's so cool!" When MTV ran that "I'm a muay thai fighter" special, people were coming up to me and asking me if I fought bare knuckle and how scary something like that would be.

In my kung fu days, people always asked me if I could do flips and run up walls, since wushu is predominantly what you see in the media.

So, to that end, the answer is both yes and no. How a person perceives an art will differ from person to person, but the media will likely have some influence.

I said yes, becuase MA is Dangerous, it is painful at times, it is practiced so you can inflict Pain on others as form of protection. It is Scary in most aspects, you are trying to ensure pain or death as a way to protect yourself or ones you love. The things you do look scary to people and the effects are supose to be painful when it's for real. Practicing in the Dojo can cause injuries to you and to others. Most people will not put themselves in that position to be hurt. You flinch when your sparing even, because you are scared of being hurt if it even is by accident. I totally agree that MA is Scary. That doesn't mean no one should learn different forms of MA, it may even suggest that it's something to overcome. I think that once someone trys out and learns something then they will not be so harsh on the impressions that the media keeps reminding us of all the time. It will be something to enjoy like most of us do, and it will improve our lives in it different ways. You all may know this, but maybe to answer this poll you need to ask the people outside of the forum.

KBear

"lick your wounds, anxious for the next ones"

I said yes, becuase MA is Dangerous, it is painful at times, it is practiced so you can inflict Pain on others as form of protection. It is Scary in most aspects, you are trying to ensure pain or death as a way to protect yourself or ones you love. The things you do look scary to people and the effects are supose to be painful when it's for real. Practicing in the Dojo can cause injuries to you and to others. Most people will not put themselves in that position to be hurt. You flinch when your sparing even, because you are scared of being hurt if it even is by accident. I totally agree that MA is Scary. That doesn't mean no one should learn different forms of MA, it may even suggest that it's something to overcome. I think that once someone trys out and learns something then they will not be so harsh on the impressions that the media keeps reminding us of all the time. It will be something to enjoy like most of us do, and it will improve our lives in it different ways. You all may know this, but maybe to answer this poll you need to ask the people outside of the forum.

I do agree with you to a certain extent Kara. There are lots of painful and dangerous aspects in MA. Then again you find people that have been training for most of their lives and never had any serious injury, maybe they have just been lucky. A lot of it comes down to careful control and good training. :)

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

I think it's natural for the martial arts to scare SOME people. Part of the martial arts is fighting and/or violence (or, at least, perceived violence). That can be scary.

The way that I relate to any activity is that the level of fun and excitement that it gives has a direct correlation to the risk factor involved. MA can be pretty high on the scale, but I don't think you see nearly as many serious injuries in the world of MA as you do in sports like professional football or baseball.

I don't think you see nearly as many serious injuries in the world of MA as you do in sports like professional football or baseball.

Come to think of it your right. Youd think that with people punching and throwing kicks at each other there would be serious injuries all the time; but in the time ive been training Ive only seen one really bad injury and that was on this guys knee. (the guy just got out of surgery just a few weeks earlier and being the highly inteligent person he was decided hed join a new Karate school.) I wonder why that works out that way?

I don't think you see nearly as many serious injuries in the world of MA as you do in sports like professional football or baseball.

Come to think of it your right. Youd think that with people punching and throwing kicks at each other there would be serious injuries all the time; but in the time ive been training Ive only seen one really bad injury and that was on this guys knee. (the guy just got out of surgery just a few weeks earlier and being the highly inteligent person he was decided hed join a new Karate school.) I wonder why that works out that way?

I think the reason is that fighters do not put their joints at serious risk in their events. Other than the joint locks of MMA and grappling events, the joints are not usually attacked. And when they are attacked, it is with the goal of submission in mind, and not breaking. In all of the MMA that I have seen, I have only seen one break, and that was because someone did not tap out, and the hold kept being pressed. Then the fight was stopped.

In football, baseball, etc., the stress is put on the joints with the highest range of motion; i.e., running in football and baseball (knees), pitching and throwing in baseball (elbows), and the list can go on. Typically, the more range of motion and the more speed a joint can produce, the less stable it is. When a football player gets taken out at the knees, and you gasp for air as you see them bend in funky directions, you see just how unstable that joint is. More stable joints are the shoulder and hip.

Also, in fighting, the muscle of the upper leg is a target; not usually the knee (not regarding self-defense here). In football, in order to stop a fast runner, you need to stop the legs. It is much more productive to tackle a runner at the legs (knees) than from the shoulders. Hence, more injuries, in my opinion.