• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Mawashigeri

B.

I have a little problem with this move.

When I turn my hip when doing this kick, like suppost to, it is hard for me to get back in the gamae stance.

What can I do about it? (what am I doing wrong?)

~ Me

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi. I'm not sure what that particular stance that is but you've spelt it almost like another stance, kamae. Kamae is not a fighting stance, its used for mental preperation and because of that I've not seen mawashi geri performed from it. If you are refering to kamae, its possible but its not all that practical. I would suggest trying it from a kumite stance as see if it feels better and more natural.

You are probably not twisting your hips enough, and also remember your supporting foot has to turn as well. It's a difficult kick to master. Why not ask your sensei to watch you while your doing it and ask him if he can demonstrate and explain where your going wrong.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

Have your leg relaxed when you perform the kick... Turn your hips and use the back of your foot (unless you are performing the kick with the tips of your toes... but that is neither here nor there!)

As Shotokan-Kez said, your back foot must turn as well... Your back leg must be slightly bent in order to return back to Kamae effectively, that is where I was going wrong when trying to learn the kick...

Hope that helps!

Shui Tora

To know the road ahead; ask those coming back... ~ Chinese Proverb

" The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants. " ~ Master Funakoshi

Thanx for the responses guys! :)

As Shotokan-Kez said, your back foot must turn as well... Your back leg must be slightly bent in order to return back to Kamae effectively, that is where I was going wrong when trying to learn the kick...

I do turn my hips enough, and also my back leg, and I also bent it a little. But after the kick, the twist to get back in kamae, doesn't feel well.

Why not ask your sensei to watch you while your doing it and ask him if he can demonstrate and explain where your going wrong.

Your probably right, I should ask my sensei.

~ B.

I think the stance you are talking about would be the zenkusu dachi. It helps to have your grounded foot at an angle while you go for the mawashi geri. This helps you pivot better towards your target . Like others have said you also need to use your hips also while doing this kick.

How many nuns could a nunchuk chuck if a nunchuk could chuck nuns?

I think kyokushin stylists are the best to ask about mawashi geri , but this is the way i return to my stance, after i snap the kick out , i pull it back to chamber, i use this chambered leg to gain the stance back, my chamber pulls back and down while my upper boddy comes up and i turn on my ball of suppoorting foot , if i kick with left then a counter clock wise tourque by my upper boddy and chembered leg turns me on my right foot while i am still chambered then the chambered leg goes back to zenkutsu dachi.

Are you talking about a round kick?? If so, are you asking about kick with the back leg, and then trying to land with that leg in back again, or in front (sorry, I'm confused! :-? )

If you are kicking from the back, and trying to put it back behind you, I personally don't use this method that often. I like to kick, and land forward, because it keeps the momentum of the kick going into the target.