• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If the issue is not being ready to hit hard, maybe you need time on a heavy bag.

If the issue is that you are just uncomfortable hitting other people (who are apparently there to get hit), then try to realize that people actually want to get hit - it makes them better fighters.

If you think only of hitting, springing, striking or touching the enemy, you will not be able actually to cut him. You must thoroughly research this. - Musashi

TigerDude makes some good points. It just takes some time to get used to doing. You have to commit yourself. Think of it this way: they are going to hit you, and they aren't going to think twice about it. You should do the same.

Yep i agree there. I had a very similar problem and still do to some extent, then sensei said i wasn't showing enough aggresion and power.

Like bushido says they will hit you if you give them the chance, it takes confidence and lots of practise.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

Ive got the same problem. Ive lost several matches that I could have won if id been more aggressive. Im a gentle natured person and im thinking that you probably are too; but I think it comes down to being able to control the situation and be assertive. Thats very hard to do.

When I started playing football, as a 11 year old kid, I had the same problem. It wasn't until my coach made me stand in a drill that we called, "head to head", that I started understanding aggression better. Basically two players lay down on the ground, head to head, about 5 yards apart. When the whistle blows, both players attempt to get to their feet as fast as they can. The one with the ball try's run over top of the tackler, the tackler try's to annihilate the ball carrier. Long story short, I wasn't allowed out of the ring until I started burying the ball carriers I was up against. For the next 6 years I started at middle linebacker, even though I was always one of the lightest guys on the team. I attribute that success to learning aggression the hard way.

Aggression is something that has to be learned, sometimes the hard way. I suggest getting together with who you would consider to be one of the toughest guys in your school, and spar with them. Explain to them before you start, that while you want to be able to walk after leaving the ring with them, that you don't need to be babied in there. Once you train your brain that your in a training environment, and your technique and control will keep you from seriously injuring anyone, its ok to give someone a shot, you'll feel better about stepping in the ring. Watch pro boxer's. They are trying to take each other's heads off during the match, afterwards they are cool with each other (most times, unless of course you get your ear bit off ;-)), its all professionalism.

People that don't want to get hit, or hit other people don't spar. So keep that in mind of your opponent when your fighting.

There's some great advice already posted. We've been trained all our lives that hitting is bad. It takes some time to override that. Experience is the best teacher. The more you spar, the easier it will get.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Aggression is a harsh mistress. Pure aggression will get you nowhere, it's all about aggression PLUS knowledge/skill of what to do with it. I've seen guys run into matches guns-a-blazin and make total fools of themselves. I've also seen a 9 year old girl beat the tar out of my uncle Dave lol.

Rick_72 has awesome points indeed, I can relate to what he's saying because football was my sport of choice in school. Football has a lot to do with fighting, it's a war game, use tactics, speed, and aggression in a trifecta to overcome the other team's attributes.

To practice aggression, basically you have to practice the winning mindset. You have to overcome them with your strongest points in the fastest fashion.

I had problems with it too starting out, but growin up in a 'racially tense' neighborhood fixed it quick. Fighting people who are bigger than you really drives home the point that aggression is the only way you can overcome that strength, be it tactical or physical. When I first started taking karate I had no faith in myself and got beat up all the time, and after getting beat up by a group of kids my eyes opened a bit. I was confronted by a kid twice my size in the hallway, he ripped my necklace off, and I just dove on him. Despite his skill and size, it took 3 of the faculty to pull me off of him.

The greatest thing about aggression (in my reckoning) is the element of surprise. Most attackers don't expect to be met with force and confidence. One night I was up around 3am, and heard a rustling in the basement, and heard our sliding door open. I grabbed my tanbo, turned on the basement stairs lights and sprinted down them screaming at the top of my lungs, heard the slider slam and saw a shadow sprinting through my backyard. It works!

So, you may want to expose yourself to situations where aggression is the key to winning. As Rick said, spar people larger than you, more confident than you, or better than you, and remember this "hesitation leads to hospitalization" :D

"They look up, without realizing they're standing in the palm of your hand"

"I burn alive to keep you warm"