• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thanks Giving

karate carolyn

Hiya

Could someone tell me when American Thanks Giving is? I know its about December (I think?) also could you advise me on if or what you give for presents? My brothers girlfriend is from Origan but their both living in South Korea at the moment and thought it would be nice to help her celebrate it cause she’s away from home. For obvious reasons we don’t have it here and so I don’t know whats the done thing

Thanks y’all

carolyn x

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool, that's nice of you. Basically, Thanksgiving isn't a present giving holiday. That's not to say you couldn't give one to be nice. :) But, generally, it's a time to stop and give thanks for what you have. Her Thanksgiving may be different, so you may want to ask her how she usually celebrates, but the general way would be with a big Turkey dinner. Turkey (some people have ham, too, I think?), stuffing, cranberry, various vegetables (peas, corn, carrots, green beans, etc. etc.), mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, gravy, etc. etc. (Not all of that necessarily, hehe, we usually just have Turkey and 3 or 4 of the rest). Pumpkin pie is pretty common for a dessert. I'm sure others can speak to what they usually have, but again, it may be a good idea just to ask her. You could even do it in an innocent way like "Thanksgiving? We don't really celebrate that over here. How do you celebrate it?" that sort of thing. That might get the best result. Again, nice idea. :)

Patrick has it down. I love Thanksgiving. It is my favorite holiday. To me, it is about getting the family together, now that my parents are grandparents, and we get a whole houseful. My mom eats that stuff up!

For me, it is all about the fellowship, and getting the family together, and being home for a few days, where I grew up, sleeping in my old bedroom.....there really is nothing quite like going home.

Ok, now, for the best part....THE FOOD!!! I am sure everyone knows by now, that I like to eat. Officially, I am a charter member of the Dave Thomas Big Eaters Club :lol: :lol: :lol: (OK, joke!)!! I always go overboard on the food, becuase it is all so good. Turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing (or some call it dressing), and hot rolls, and more turkey and tators and gravy, and more rolls to mop up the gravy!!

Oh, yeah, and then desert. I am not a big pumpkin pie person, and it is usually the desert of choice. I prefer rhubarb pie or crisp, or a good apple pie or crisp. And then, the old stand-by, chocolate cake!!

Man, I can't wait. I hope this helps.

Food: Obviously turkey, cranberries (jellied), mash potatoes, corn, stuffing (Mmmmm....), it's my favorite american holiday!!!

I think that it is sweet to make someone feel special by celebrating their countries holidays with them. But thanksgiving is more of a social holiday that is caused by the wonderful yummy FOOD! or at least thats what i have experienced in america. :)

"Never leave that to tomorrow for which you can do today." -Ben. Frank.

Thanksgiving is the last Thursday in November in the USA.

It is a chance to celebrate (traditionally after a harvest) your blessings - and give thanks to God.

If you think only of hitting, springing, striking or touching the enemy, you will not be able actually to cut him. You must thoroughly research this. - Musashi

I am not a big pumpkin pie person...

Yeah, me either. In fact, I'm not much of a pie person at all. Once in a while, I can eat an apple pie (most of the time, I don't like them), but that's really it. Besides that, key lime and chocolate are pretty much what I like. :)

Thanksgiving is great, the only bad part is how I feel after the big meal.

I'm not much of a cook, so I don't do too much of that. Hech it takes me an hour to do minute rice! :P

One thing it's got to one if not the favorite holiday for my dogs! :D

How many nuns could a nunchuk chuck if a nunchuk could chuck nuns?

Thanksgiving...the best food holiday ever! I prefer Halloween, but I think that's just because it's the best candy holiday.

Dinner: Turkey, stuffing, cheesy-rice, crescent rolls, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes and gravy

Dessert: A lot of people, as stated, like pumpkin pie (sometimes with whipped cream). I prefer chocolate pie, key lime pie, chocolate mint pie (really really good), or, some kind of cake, chocolate cake is popular, lemon cake is good, etc.

Now, this whole thing is supposed to be about giving thanks to God for providing for us on the First Thanksgiving when the Indians shared their food with us so we would survive through the winter. This usually gets lost behind the food.

Oh! And the most awesome part! The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade!!!!

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu

I am not a big pumpkin pie person...

Yeah, me either. In fact, I'm not much of a pie person at all. Once in a while, I can eat an apple pie (most of the time, I don't like them), but that's really it. Besides that, key lime and chocolate are pretty much what I like. :)

I am with you. I'll take a good chocolate cake any day. However, I am really partial to rhubarb crisp...I can eat a whole pan of that stuff, and not feel bad about it one bit! :D