• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Which form system do you prefer?

Thanks, guys.

As for the Tiger form I had read about, it is referred to as the advanced Tiger Form "So Hu Yun," performed by GM Chun Sik Kim. The picture and caption were circa 1976.

here is some TSD discussion regarding So Hu Yun.

Best,

Is there supposed to be a link?? :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK. I am a WTF TKD artist and went to an ITF school to see about changing. I got to see first hand the sign wave move. WOW. Looks good but not sure it helps with power.

I've seen a number of discussions where people with backgrounds in physics and kinesiology have disputed the effectiveness of the sine wave to create power. I also find the up and down exaggerated motion to be quite ugly, and when on earth would you find the time to execute sine wave if you happen to be in a real fight?! Hip twist at least is economical and logical.

Sine wave. Yuck. I really think General Choi came up with it as a way of differentiating his TKD from others'.

I think that most of the people who don't like the sine wave are the ones who have seen it over-exaggerated. The original sine wave, I believe, is more sublte than what some schools are teaching now. As for its effectivness, I feel that it is neither here nor there. Some will swear by it, and some will not.

Well, just look at the ITF form clips on the natkd.com site. It may be an exaggerated example, but that's precisely what I think of when I think of sine wave technique. The more subtle spring leg (kenpo people call it "marriage of gravity") is indeed a key to many Chinese systems, but all of the sine wave people I've come into contact with do it exactly like the guy on the video clips.

When I teach my students in class, when doing basics and forms, I try to teach them not to bob up and down too much. I feel that it becomes telegraphic and is wasted energy. That is just my feelings, however. Sometimes you can't avoid a little bit of head movement, but I don't think that the legs should straighten between each stance transition.

I always say to the students: "You don't walk like this, do you?" and then I do an exaggerated walk where I stand straight up tall on one leg, and then dip low when taking the next step. It usually getst the point across.

Thanks, guys.

As for the Tiger form I had read about, it is referred to as the advanced Tiger Form "So Hu Yun," performed by GM Chun Sik Kim. The picture and caption were circa 1976.

here is some TSD discussion regarding So Hu Yun.

Best,

Is there supposed to be a link?? :)

http://www.warrior-scholar.com/smf/index.php?topic=87.0

Sorry

Thanks, JWLuiza.

Please, call me John. And Warrior-Scholar has some of the most educated Tang Soo Do, Soo Bahk, and Moo Sa Do minds around. I like to pretend I'm one of em :)

Cool. I'll try to remember to call you John. I call just about everyone by their usernames, because I see it all of the time. :)

I am very interested in TSD, so I may ask you some questions about it from time to time.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually prefer the Taegeuk system, as it is the one that my school practices. But the Chon-Ji system seems interesting. I'll try that one sometime.

Keep posting,

"The Leaf, Still Green, Must Someday Fall,

Such Grief, Such Joy, to Live at All."

--T.A. Barron

General Choi was from North Korea but I would not say he was loyal to it. He was a staunch anti-communist. He became at odds with the South Korean Govt when it changed because of what was basically a military coup. He fled to Canada. Part of the reasons for the new forms were to discredit Choi and his ITF group. He did not make amends with North Korea until he was getting near the end of his life. Choi believed that TKD could help unify the Korean people.... end of lesson.

I prefer the Chang 'Hon forms. I have a Shito Ryu background and they are the forms that most resemble what I used to do. I am working through Chung Moo now and am having trouble with the 360 backstance into a backstance. Fun!

General Choi was from North Korea but I would not say he was loyal to it. He was a staunch anti-communist. He became at odds with the South Korean Govt when it changed because of what was basically a military coup. He fled to Canada. Part of the reasons for the new forms were to discredit Choi and his ITF group. He did not make amends with North Korea until he was getting near the end of his life. Choi believed that TKD could help unify the Korean people.... end of lesson.

I prefer the Chang 'Hon forms. I have a Shito Ryu background and they are the forms that most resemble what I used to do. I am working through Chung Moo now and am having trouble with the 360 backstance into a backstance. Fun!

Thanks for the information. I knew there was something there, but I had a few wires crossed. Thanks for shoring that up. I have read several books that are WTF based, and in the "History of TKD" sections, there is hardly ever a word mentioned about Gen. Choi. Politics rearing its ugly head.

That 360 in Chung Moo is tough. The key is to get a good burst up, and to tuck your legs up as you spin. This will help with the clearance you need to stick it.