• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Which form system do you prefer?

Chil Sung I believe means "path of the 7 stars". It is a set of 7 forms created by Hwang Kee and practiced very much exclusively in TSD/MDK circles.

Here's a page that summarizes the Pyang Ahns very well:

http://www.ronlittlestudios.com/rlma/jujitsu/origins1.html

One can find Pyang Ahns being practiced at TSD as well as Shotokan and TKD schools.

TANG SOO!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chil Sung I believe means "path of the 7 stars". It is a set of 7 forms created by Hwang Kee and practiced very much exclusively in TSD/MDK circles.

One can find Pyang Ahns being practiced at TSD as well as Shotokan and TKD schools.

Exactly. There is also some rumors that the Soo Bahk Do MDK is imposing legal actions against schools who are not part of the federation for using the chil sun, yuk ro, and hwa sun patterns since they are trademarked (or copyrighted?!?). The MDK beleives only MDK schools should be able to teach these forms.

I am not familiar with the Pyung Ahns. What are they like, and where do they come from?

I learned them in Tang Soo Do. They are vary similar to the Shotokan forms, as Fosgate said. He has a good link to check out these forms.

Laurie F

I am not familiar with the Pyung Ahns. What are they like, and where do they come from?

I learned them in Tang Soo Do. They are vary similar to the Shotokan forms, as Fosgate said. He has a good link to check out these forms.

Very true Laurie, we even number them in the Japanese order, not the Okinawan order. I just received an early edition of the Tang Soo Do (Soo Bahk Do) by Hwang Kee and there are a few more differences that my school has since abandoned for a more "shotokan" style performance.

P.S. Laurie, I hope the job situation fixes itself soon!

Thanks for the info. That helps to clarify things a little bit. It is kind of cool, there is more to the Korean styles out there than I realized, and I like to think that I am fairly knowledgable on the subject. :roll:

If I ever get the chance, I would love to check out a TSD school, just to see what the similarities and differences between the two are. I do have one book on TSD so far, and I loved it. It has a system of forms, but it has been so long since I read it, that I don't remember which forms they are. I do know that one of the higer ranked forms is called the "Tiger" form.

The Palgwes are similar to the heians therefore I am particular to them. The taegueks seem...soft to me. But that may be just my systems interpretation.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Thanks for the info. That helps to clarify things a little bit. It is kind of cool, there is more to the Korean styles out there than I realized, and I like to think that I am fairly knowledgable on the subject. :roll:

If I ever get the chance, I would love to check out a TSD school, just to see what the similarities and differences between the two are. I do have one book on TSD so far, and I loved it. It has a system of forms, but it has been so long since I read it, that I don't remember which forms they are. I do know that one of the higer ranked forms is called the "Tiger" form.

Most TSD schools don't have a "Tiger" form, but they DO characterize forms by their animal compatriot... These were first discussed in GM Hwang Kee's TSD volume 1 and 2. The names (except for Wan Shu) really don't reflect animals...

But it can help in your own personal interpretation of the form.

best,

Most TSD schools don't have a "Tiger" form, but they DO characterize forms by their animal compatriot... These were first discussed in GM Hwang Kee's TSD volume 1 and 2. The names (except for Wan Shu) really don't reflect animals...

But it can help in your own personal interpretation of the form.

best,

Thanks, JWLuiza.

A question to the WTF stylists: Are the pal-gwes still a requirement to know for testings, along with the tae-guks, or is that different now?