• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

ashi-bari

Shotokan-kez

I only learnt this move a year ago officially, meaning that's when I was high enough rank to actually use it, and I can't get it right either. I would never use it in tournament sparring, even if the tournament does allow it(Depends on the tournament where I live). I just use it in my Brown/Black belt class just to have fun, but still suck at doing it.
I have used this technique many times with great success. It's one of my favourites. In some instances, I've managed to get them to fall over completely (during full speed kumite), thus putting them at my will.

As some have said, once you know the technique, it's all about timing. The technique needs to be executed JUST before they place their foot on the ground. This way, they have already placed their weight over this leg, but don't yet have any traction with the ground.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately as we only allow light contact sweep kicks are not permitted during sparring. We generally have to practise against the pads. I know what you mean though Kez it hurt me too. I guess its like anything - practise make perfect. Plus dont focus too much on getting this sweep in during your grading - you may miss vital points not doing something simple that you are good at?

Karate Ni Sentinashi

Like everybody is saying, practice makes perfect and timing is everything. However you can make the proper situation happen. For example you can goad your opponent to move forward or backward and then sweep.

But there is one very overlooked aspect in ashi-barai: grabbing. When you sweep, you should grab your opponent's sleeve with one hand and use it to further unbalance him. I have seen this done often in international karate championship.

One of my favorite sweeper is Alexandre Biamonti, one of the greatest French karate champion. If you can get is videos or see them, you will know what it means to sweep in combat. And since he grabs at the same time, he can often makes his opponents spin in middair before hitting the mat! One of his most davastating sweep is the double sweep : he sweeps with one leg and then immediately follows with his other. If you don't fall on the first sweep, the second will finish you.

Food for thoughts :)

EclecticFighter.com, for all your makiwara & Muk Jong needs!

But there is one very overlooked aspect in ashi-barai: grabbing. When you sweep, you should grab your opponent's sleeve with one hand and use it to further unbalance him. I have seen this done often in international karate championship.

That is a good point. I didn't even think of that.

It adds greater control of your opponent, which is always good. Or you could just blow really hard.

Unfortunately as we only allow light contact sweep kicks are not permitted during sparring. We generally have to practise against the pads. I know what you mean though Kez it hurt me too. I guess its like anything - practise make perfect. Plus dont focus too much on getting this sweep in during your grading - you may miss vital points not doing something simple that you are good at?

oh you surprise me there kirst, when i did shukokai for a short while, the sweep was very much permitted. In fact they did a lot of fighting to and every person you faught would try their upmost to seep you, when or if the suceeded everyone would turn round and cheer, which of course wasn't very pleasant for the person on the floor, very embarrasing. Luckily it never happened to me because i was always on my gaurd and rooted my feet to the ground, just simply because i didn't want to get laughed at. So basically i would always go home with battered and bruised legs because they couldn't take me down.

I guess your right, suggesting that i not concentrate on this for the grading, i am much better with punching combo's, so i may have to stick with that. :D

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

I think it depends on the club - we are primarily a family club and are a lot more traditional than a lot of shukokai clubs I have seen in our vicinity

Karate Ni Sentinashi

I'd love to do that but our sparring guidelines don't allow us to grab in tournaments. We can grab to deflect, but not grab to hold.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

A grab does help, but it can also be counter-productive depending on the objective of the sweep.

There are many stand-up tournaments that prohibit grabbing. Karate tournements here say that you can grab provided you actually do something with it. You can't just grab and keep hold for the sake of grabbing.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.